How to use Menu Proxy to show in-topic TOC?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

How to use Menu Proxy to show in-topic TOC?

Post by whunter »

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here, so I'm preparing myself for the "duh!" moment.

I want to use the Menu Proxy to show an in-topic TOC, but I only want the menu to show when the topic has subheadings. If the topic doesn't have subheadings, it shouldn't show.

I put the Menu Proxy in the master page, and configured it to show 2 levels of headings. Works great when the topic has subheadings. It shows the topic heading as well as the subheadings. But when the topic doesn't have subheadings, it shows the topic heading by itself. This is silly.

So then I thought -- I'll change the stylesheet so that h1 is no longer a heading, change the subheadings to level 1, and then change the Menu Proxy to show 1 level of headings. Now it works in that it only shows the menu when the topic has subheadings. But for some reason it picks the first subheading in the topic and shows it as the "root". So even though all the subheadings are at the same level, now it looks as if the first one is the parent and the others are subheadings.

If anyone can help me figure out what I'm missing, I would be very appreciative.
Last edited by whunter on Fri May 11, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: How to use Menu Proxy to show in-topic TOC

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Have you looked at miniTOC proxy instead? I'm not looking at Flare directly at the mo so it might not be what you're after, but definitely worth a look.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

The miniTOC proxy shows topics underneath the current topic, based on the TOC. So if you have the following in your TOC:

Topic 1
--SubTopic 1
--SubTopic 2

The miniTOC shows Subtopic 1 and 2 when you are in Topic 1.

What I have is Topic 1 with subheadings within the topic. I want a menu to show the subheadings within that topic. Which is what the Menu Proxy is doing, I just don't want it to show when there are no subheadings.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to use Menu Proxy to show in-topic TOC?

Post by Psider »

If it's the bolding, then it's to do with what the javascript considers the "selected" item (as far as I can tell from playing with the trial version, either the first heading in view, the first heading if no heading is visible, or the last heading if all headings are in view).

So if you don't want the menu items to be "highlighted" as you scroll through a long topic, you could set the Menu item > Selected > Font > Weight to 'normal'
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

And note that the highlighting effect doesn't occur in Tripane. It does in Top Nav and Side Nav skins.

(edit: And it was added in 2017r2, and sounds like it should only do it for the fixed menu option?? Maybe it's a bug http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... -Flare.htm )
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

Psider, thanks for the additional info, I will experiment more with that in mind.
stephjnca
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by stephjnca »

Hi there

I think that you are talking about the menu proxy that shows headings, correct? We also don't want to show the topic title when there are no headings in the topic (h2s, h3s, etc.), so we use this selector, which needn't be so complex depending on the your template (your divs may be different):

Code: Select all

/* If there are no sub-headings, don't display the first item (h1) in the sidebar */

div.topic-layout > div.header-menu-wrapper ul:first-child > li:first-child:nth-last-child(1)
{
	display: none !important;
}
HTH.
alicefm
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by alicefm »

whunter wrote:What I have is Topic 1 with subheadings within the topic. I want a menu to show the subheadings within that topic. Which is what the Menu Proxy is doing, I just don't want it to show when there are no subheadings.
I want to do the same thing for both online (such as in Flare online help) and print output.
I have searched a lot here and didn't find an answer.

Does anyone know how to do this?
dogsma
Propeller Head

Post by dogsma »

Did anyone get an answer for this? The online help for Madcap flare shows this feature and I am about to ask them to tell me how to do it, but if you guys already know, I'd love to hear it!