Conditional filters to prevent translation spoils the output

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
minicyclist
Propeller Head

Conditional filters to prevent translation spoils the output

Post by minicyclist »

Hi,

I'm using Lingo to translate all our user guides to Japanese. Within the user guides, we've applied a condition to terms that don't require translation, such as UI labels, product names, or commands.

We received feedback from a Japanese colleague that the translation was extremely poor and not fit for purpose. On further investigation, it seems that the 'don't translate' condition makes Lingo break up the sentence, creating the poor translation.

Has anyone experience this and could recommend an alternative approach?

Grateful for help.

Ian
RobSwanson
Propeller Head

Re: Conditional filters to prevent translation spoils the ou

Post by RobSwanson »

It has to do with syntax, where parts of speech should fall.

We've experimented with using a segment rule to break out bold text (our UI terms are in bold), but I don't think this is going to work as well as we hoped.

What Lingo needs is the ability to send a glossary or to apply a glossary on return that identifies words not to be translated. DeepL native allows a glossary, but not with CAT tools.

The term base is next to useless if you don't speak the other language. I wish segments with term base suggestions would be flagged so you only have to look at segments you question (since they take a few moments to load), and identify which word in the segment is the word in question.

Building up the translation memory after correcting the UI terms is the best way.