"Failed to convert to PDF Font:"

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
MaggieA4
Propeller Head

"Failed to convert to PDF Font:"

Post by MaggieA4 »

I have to use the font family "Good OT" for marketing reasons in my title pages. Before I took this position in December, they had been generating the docs in Word and then converting them to PDF. I'd like to generate straight to PDF. Unfortunately, I'm now getting this message when I generate the PDF:

"Failed to convert to PDF Font: Good OT. Using default font: Helvetica"

Is there any way to fix this?

Or is this an issue with Adobe?

It's especially frustrating since I only need it for the title page. I've tried adding the styles under the @media print section of my stylesheet, but no luck there. Even when they weren't there, the font still shows up in Flare when I type in the Title and Version number.

Thanks in advance for any help!
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: "Failed to convert to PDF Font:"

Post by kwag_myers »

I came upon this article and thought the Modifying CSS Files section might be of interest (hope it helps): How to Embed Fonts in MadCap Flare WebHelp. I realize this is for WebHelp, but you may be able to apply the same technique.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
MaggieA4
Propeller Head

Post by MaggieA4 »

Didn't work. I followed the instructions as best I could and I'm pretty sure I did it right, but no luck. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
thad
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by thad »

MaggieA4, I'm wondering whether you were able to resolve this issue? After using Flare successfully for a long time, I'm now encountering this for the first time after updating my PC to Windows 10.
betelgeuse
Propeller Head

Post by betelgeuse »

I encountered this error today after upgrading to Windows 10. My exact message was:

Failed to convert to PDF font: MS Gothic. Using default font: Helvetica.

I'm not using the MS Gothic or Helvetica fonts anywhere in my project, so it was a little confusing.

I fixed it by downloading and installing MS Gothic.
sdriggars
Propeller Head

Post by sdriggars »

I am getting the same message on my PDF outputs and am also not using MS Gothic or Helvetica. I am also using Windows 10 (which was updated from 8.1), but can't say for sure if the messages coincided with making that update.
--Stephen
MunchMan
Propeller Head

Post by MunchMan »

We paid $500 for two fonts (which look exactly like the free ones I wanted to use, but NOOOOOO), and I am getting this error, which is a show stopper because the substituted font prints as gibberish. Also on Win10. Anyone find resolution? I'm about to just go back to the free fonts and just not tell my boss :evil:
thad
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by thad »

In my case, I was able to resolve the issue by right-clicking the font and selecting "Install for all users." This instructs Windows to put the font in the Windows/Fonts folder, rather than the appdata folder for a user.
joerg_brandt
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by joerg_brandt »

The "install for all users" solved the problem for me. Thanks!
pelikano
Propeller Head

Post by pelikano »

A big Thank You to the above posters.

In case this helps others, my problem was that our Icomoon font would not embed in PDFs. Yet I could add the icons to MS Word and when Word generated the PDF, the icomoon font listed as Embedded, and the fonts appeared.

Then I noticed the Warning 40040 Failed to convert to PDF font icomoon etc in the Flare build.

I am on Windows 10 and Flare 2017 r3. Running the font's Install for all users option required admin privileges, so I had to call IT. But it worked.

Funny how MS Word was not affected by this problem. I guess Microsoft still plays the same old games.
BrianAtInTouchHealth
Propeller Head

Post by BrianAtInTouchHealth »

thad wrote:In my case, I was able to resolve the issue by right-clicking the font and selecting "Install for all users." This instructs Windows to put the font in the Windows/Fonts folder, rather than the appdata folder for a user.
Our intern was having this problem and this fixed it. Thank you, thad!

Brian
Flare :flare: + Analyzer :analyzer: 2022, Central, Capture :capture: 7.0, Mimic :mimic: 8.1
rekiwi
Propeller Head

Post by rekiwi »

Confirmed. Same issue, same error, different font (Inconsolata). Fixed with right-clicking the font and selecting "Install for all users." Thank you!
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Same problem for me with the IPAPGothic font that we use to generate Japanese PDFs. Right-clicking the font and selecting "Install for all users" fixed it for me too. THANK YOU!
Kellie
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Another thank you for this. An upgrade to new computer and I thought copying the fonts directly into the Windows/Fonts folder would be enough. Although Flare will display the font, it cannot embed it in a PDF unless it has been 'installed for all users'. Yet one more upgrade snafu to remember!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

And it's also a big thank you from me too.

This drove me crazy for an hour, as I thought I was using the wrong font family name.

I can stop swearing now.
EileenP
Propeller Head

Post by EileenP »

People, where are you right-clicking the font? I can view the font in various places, but nowhere do I see the option Install for all users.
Using Windows 10 Pro and my font is "Circular Std Book", among other "Circular Std" variations.
Thank you.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

EileenP wrote:People, where are you right-clicking the font? I can view the font in various places, but nowhere do I see the option Install for all users.
Using Windows 10 Pro and my font is "Circular Std Book", among other "Circular Std" variations.
Thank you.
I right-clicked the font file in Windows Explorer, and got a Install for all users menu option.

But I'd guess you might only see that option if your account is an Administrator in Windows, as it requires admin permissions.
zappy0
Propeller Head

Post by zappy0 »

Thank you for this post - it worked for me as well (Flare 2022). I had previously downloaded the font (Gotham Book and many variations) to c:\fonts (a directory I created) and then used the Fonts Control panel to add those to my Windows 10 system. They were then displayed in C:\Windows\Fonts. When I generated a PDF file from Adobe FrameMaker or Microsoft Word, the font was properly embedded. When I generated a PDF from Flare, I received the warning described in this post. Because the font appeared to be installed properly, I did not expect the "Install for all users" solution described here to work. I right-clicked on each font file name in c:\fonts and selected Install for all users. IT provided the Admin credentials each time. Now I can generate a PDF from Flare without the font warning, and Gotham Book is properly embedded. Thus my excitement and a desire to post my results. However, I am curious to understand -- why did this work?