Speed when publishing to Zendesk

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
djohnson
Propeller Head

Speed when publishing to Zendesk

Post by djohnson »

I am trying the Zendesk output in Flare 2020r3. I must say that I like the process; so much better than working with Zendesk's editor.

The one thing I am not keen on is the publish speed: it takes about 26 minutes to publish one page or ten pages, where the build only takes a few seconds. (I did notice that, even though I selected to include "Content linked directly from the TOC", all of my images are included in the publish, including many very large unused SVGs.)

Total publish size varies from 1.6MB to 1.7MB, depending on the number of pages.

Speedtest.net shows my upload speed at about 12Mbps.

Is this a universal issue, or might there be something I can change somewhere?

(I am running in a Win10 64-bit VM on a well-configured MacBook Pro; I have no problems with publishing other content, although that is all published locally.)

This is not a dealbreaker (for me) but I am curious if I can easily improve that.
Don Johnson
Flare 2020r3, Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on a 16" MacBook Pro [as of March 2021]
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Speed when publishing to Zendesk

Post by SteveS »

You've provided your own answer, Don:

"I have no problems with publishing other content, although that is all published locally"

If you are publishing this content over a network it will be slow. You are better off publishing everything on your machine and then transferring it to the network.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
djohnson
Propeller Head

Post by djohnson »

Thanks for your feedback, Steve. I'm afraid that's going to be how it is.

Even though the content is relatively small, I think that the actual process of integrating the content into Zendesk takes some manipulation on the Zendesk side of the connection, and so it will take about the same amount of time no matter what I end up doing.

Even so, the effort that the publishing saves (a lot of error-prone copying/pasting, uploading graphics, creating links) is worth the time, which after all, I can still use to do other things.
Don Johnson
Flare 2020r3, Windows 10 in a Parallels VM on a 16" MacBook Pro [as of March 2021]
Chris B
Propeller Head

Post by Chris B »

Zendesk also has limits on their APIs so Flare can only feed it content so fast, if it sends everything as fast as it can the Zendesk API will assume it's being attacked and shut things down, plus there are lots of steps involved in publishing to Zendesk from Flare.