3D graphics format from Solidworks

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Cinnamon
Sr. Propeller Head

3D graphics format from Solidworks

Post by Cinnamon »

Hi everyone
We are looking to include graphics exported from Solidworks in online and PDF outputs. In recent years, Solidworks has stopped supporting the export of U3D files, which seems to be the only 3D format supported in Flare. I haven't been able to identify an alternative and am trying to figure out what to do next. We could ask our engineering team to supply exploded diagrams if the 3D option isn't going to work, but it would be great if Flare did support another 3D format.
I've attached the list of formats Solidworks will export. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Suze
Solidworks file formats.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sarahspicher
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: 3D graphics format from Solidworks

Post by sarahspicher »

We are now looking into this same type of setup. Did you ever find a solution?
Cinnamon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cinnamon »

Hi Sarah
No, we didn't. However, we are about to look at this again. I'll update the post with any useful progress.
Take care.

Suze
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

The only program I know that can open Solidworks files natively other than Solidworks is Onshape (free for non commercial use), but that doesn't have the export option you want either. That is not a common export format of any of the usual CAD programs I've used (Rhino, Onshape, Solidworks, Fusion 360) or 3D polygon programs either (Modo, Houdini, Blender, etc.). Solidworks used to have an option with "save as" but it is definitely not an option with the 2020 or 2021 versions. You could try https://cadexchanger.com/u3d/