PDF target sometimes ignores my print stylesheet?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
madharrison
Jr. Propeller Head

PDF target sometimes ignores my print stylesheet?

Post by madharrison »

Hello,

In my Flare project, I have a PDF target. I also have a few stylesheets. This PDF target, at the target level, is set to use my Print stylesheet.

When I set the project level stylesheet to the Print stylesheet, the styles look fine in the WYSIWYG viewer.

However, when I produce the PDF, sometimes the styles look weird. For instance, sometimes, h2 looks short and black. In my Print stylesheet, however, I configured it to look big and blue.

I have:
— Set this Target to use the Print stylesheet
— Checked my other stylesheets to see if h2 is using styles from there. I don't think it is.
— Checked the Print medium in the stylesheet

My imported topics happen to be fine, though ...

Could you please help me figure out these stylesheet issues.

Thank you.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: PDF target sometimes ignores my print stylesheet?

Post by robdocsmith »

What do you mean by "sometimes"? Is it always the same topics that have faulty heading styles, or does it change? If it is only sometimes not using the correct styles (and it looks like in some cases it's using a default style definition instead of your blue one), then that's where I'd start looking. Compare topics in a text editor to see if there are any obvious differences between working and not working topics. Check for explicit style or stylesheet references. Compare entries in the TOC to see if there are differences there.

Rob
rpa
Propeller Head

Post by rpa »

Hello madharrison

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the problem. What I can do is confirm, that I have the same problem since the update to Version 2021 in my PDF output. In my case, the font-style of a paragraph is defined as bold in the stylesheet. If I use this paragraph and after the paragraph I continue with a list with <ol>, the text in the list remains bold. Since I couldn't find a solution, I had to return to Flare 2020 r3. As soon as I find the time and the motivation, I will report a bug to Madcap. At the moment, I don't have the need and the passion to do the testing for MadCap again, since after every update I made in the recent years, I found at least one bug that could not be solved with an easy workaround - but that's another story. :lol:
madharrison
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by madharrison »

robdocsmith wrote:What do you mean by "sometimes"? Is it always the same topics that have faulty heading styles, or does it change? If it is only sometimes not using the correct styles (and it looks like in some cases it's using a default style definition instead of your blue one), then that's where I'd start looking. Compare topics in a text editor to see if there are any obvious differences between working and not working topics. Check for explicit style or stylesheet references. Compare entries in the TOC to see if there are differences there.

Rob
Hey Rob,

What I mean is, h2 always appears as it should in imported topics, and h2 always appears incorrectly in non-imported topics.

Thank you for the advice.
madharrison
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by madharrison »

rpa wrote:Hello madharrison

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the problem. What I can do is confirm, that I have the same problem since the update to Version 2021 in my PDF output. In my case, the font-style of a paragraph is defined as bold in the stylesheet. If I use this paragraph and after the paragraph I continue with a list with <ol>, the text in the list remains bold. Since I couldn't find a solution, I had to return to Flare 2020 r3. As soon as I find the time and the motivation, I will report a bug to Madcap. At the moment, I don't have the need and the passion to do the testing for MadCap again, since after every update I made in the recent years, I found at least one bug that could not be solved with an easy workaround - but that's another story. :lol:
Thank you for the insight.
madharrison
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by madharrison »

I fixed the issue.

I opened my target, went to the Advanced tab, and unchecked Use TOC Depth for Heading Levels. Due to the affected topics’ depth some h2 headings were turning into h6. I hadn’t stylised h6.

So I could uncheck that field, or stylise h6 (I did both).
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

madharrison wrote:I fixed the issue.

I opened my target, went to the Advanced tab, and unchecked Use TOC Depth for Heading Levels. Due to the affected topics’ depth some h2 headings were turning into h6. I hadn’t stylised h6.

So I could uncheck that field, or stylise h6 (I did both).

Nice find. That's one to put away in my "oh, noes" file.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: