Single target with multiple TOCs?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Single target with multiple TOCs?

Post by oceanclub »

I wonder is it possible to implement the following a single target, or would it have to be multiple targets run as a batch?

I want to have online help where the initial landing page shows a series of panel buttons for the type of documentation you want; for example:

[API Documentation] [User Guides] [Technical Guides]

Note that no side bar is shown.

When you click on a panel button, the next page then displays typical sidebar HTML5 output for each documentation type; for example, if I click [User Guides], I now see online help with the sidebar:

User Guide 1
Section 1
Section 2
User Guide 2

etc.

I'd like to be able to publish this as a single project, but AFAIK it would have to be - for the above example - four targets one for the initial landing page, one for API documentation, one for User Guides and one for Technical Guides. Can I avoid that?

P.
rogersm
Propeller Head

Re: Single target with multiple TOCs?

Post by rogersm »

Hi there,

Just wondering if you got a reply about this? Would be interested in doing something similar. So having something like what is shown in the screenshot below and just use one target. Each tab (for example, Business operations has a TOC on the left side). The search should be capable of searching across all the content.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

Hi there, unfortunately I didn't. It does seem to be a limitation of Flare when it comes to having huge documentation sets which you want to segment.

P.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

What exactly is the problem here, is it that you only want to build once? Would it help if you add a batch target? Look here in the Flare help:

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... Target.htm

This might do the trick for you, but might be completely useless - it depends what you want to achieve and I'm not sure I've understood properly.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

It's important to note that the second poster in this thread, rogersm, has a very different request in wanting the search to search all the projects, compared with the first poster, oceanclub, who just wants to link together three separate outputs with a landing page.

Oceanclub wants three separate outputs (targets) and a home page which links to each of them. That home page doesn't even need to be a Flare project, just a single HTML page, but to include it in with other Flare functionality you might use a Skinless Flare target to create the page. A batch target, as Choccie suggests, should be able to set up the build and publish for everything all in one operation. See the help about batch targets:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... h%20target
They really don't even need to be targets in the same project, and if there is no overlap it might be cleaner if they were separate projects, but you could not use the batch target functionality for that. You would instead use command line builds with madbuild and a script outside of Flare to kick off all the builds.

In order to have search scan the entire system, as rogersm wants, it has to all be built into a single output, unless you are building modular help, which is only supported in Tripane and not in top nav or side nav. But with either option, you would ordinarily not have a separate TOC for each section in this case, but maybe something is possible with proxies. I am not an expert in this area and somebody else should be able to help better.