Two Identically Created Tables Not Outputting Same Size

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Wyatt Stueven
Propeller Head

Two Identically Created Tables Not Outputting Same Size

Post by Wyatt Stueven »

I have two tables I set up the exact same way, both set to 700px wide with the columns being 250px, 225px, & 225px. When I build the target pdf though they have different sizing. One is sized perfectly while the other seems to have shrunk the first column exclusively. They're both using the same table stylesheet and I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?

I have my example image shown in the attachments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Two Identically Created Tables Not Outputting Same Size

Post by Nita Beck »

If the tables are set up identically, then I’d suspect something inside the tables. For example, does the image in your second example have some padding or margin around it, either directly in the code of the topic or perhaps in a Capture .props file (if you use Capture)? Some CSS “closer” to the content is overriding the sizing of the table and its columns. At least, that’s where I’d start my investigation.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Wyatt Stueven
Propeller Head

Post by Wyatt Stueven »

I found the issue! I had a line of text in the middle column up before the image that was bold-red and all caps. Apparently Flare won't break an all caps message right where you want it to and it tries to fit it all on one line. Who knew.
Zauberlehrling
Propeller Head

Post by Zauberlehrling »

I have a similar problem.
All tables use the same table-template, but some are full-width and others are not. It looks like it depends on the content, but I want them all full-width, and always was like that, but suddenly I noticed the difference. In Flare itself they are all the same width, but in the HTML the width is different.
tables.PNG
It only affects the HTML output, the PDF output is fine.
Any idea, what that causes this behaviour, since all tables of this art using the same table template?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zauberlehrling
Propeller Head

Post by Zauberlehrling »

I found the reason for the tables not being 100% (full-width) but it's still a mystery how this happens when all tables using the same table-style (not table-template, sorry). I created a new topic and entered all the information from the one with the tables not being shown correctly. I applied all the styles, exactly as they were applied in the original one and suddenly the tables show all full-width. I noticed that there is a style in the table tag what gives the width="100%". Although all use the same style and no table gets an extra style the original table tag says the following

Code: Select all

<table class="TableStyle-WarningCautionTable" cellspacing="0" style="mc-table-style: url('../../Resources/TableStyles/WarningCautionTable.css');">
and the newly created table with exactly the same style and in the exact same way created than the first one, the table tag says the following.

Code: Select all

<table style="width: 100%;margin-left: 0;margin-right: auto;mc-table-style: url('../../Resources/TableStyles/WarningCautionTable.css');" class="TableStyle-WarningCautionTable" cellspacing="0">
I find this really weird, because the change in the width of individual tables (not all are affected) changed when changing content in the individual topics where a table is present.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

Hi there,

This is a "known" issue with Flare's tables. There's no simple way to take a table down to bare tags and apply the exact style/class. You'll often find that overrides creep into the table tags anytime you touch Table Properties and you'll inherit a raft of them on a word import.

Between reset table class, reset table style, and reset local table formatting, Flare still leaves garbage behind. The only way to clean it is from the Text Editor or use NotePad++.

1. Select the table's html

2. Press CTRL+H

3. Paste this regex into NotePad++'s search string :

<(\/?(?:table|thead|tbody|tr|td|th)\b)[^>]*\s(class|style)="[^"]*"[^>]*>

4. Paste this into the Replace string

<\1>

5. Click "In selection" (checked)

6. Click Replace All

That removes all classes and styles from the all the table-related html tags. Now any issues you see in the table are caused by the P tags on the content. You can apply the table style or class you want to use without having any existing overrides getting in the way of your design.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: