Best way to share help files with coworkers for review

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
apropsDUST
Jr. Propeller Head

Best way to share help files with coworkers for review

Post by apropsDUST »

Hi, Let's say I have a help file that I'd like others to review for content, etc., but those coworkers don't have MadCap Flare. What's the best way to send them a help document to look at? I'm planning to test out the 30-day free trial and want to potentially share some samples with others. Thanks.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Best way to share help files with coworkers for review

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! ;)

I assume that you'll be generating HTML5 help of one sort or another.

One way is to zip up the output itself and then, depending on the size of the zip file, either attach it to email or put it in a cloud folder such as OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. If the latter, share the zip file with them, so that they can download it.

Instruct them to extract the zip file's content to wherever they want on their computer and then to open whatever is the main .htm file. For example, it might be called default.htm (if you accepted Flare's default target settings). Explain to your reviewers that that will launch their default browser and load the Help system's home page or whatever you'se set up as the start-up page. They can then test drive the Help system.

Another way is to host the Help system someplace and give your reviewers the URL of the start-up or home page.

Do alert your reviewers that, assuming you'll be using Flare in trial mode, there will be random characters inserted into the content. This is how the trial works and the only way to get rid of the random characters is to purchase a license and rebuild.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
apropsDUST
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Best way to share help files with coworkers for review

Post by apropsDUST »

Thank you--that is helpful to know. This will need to be internal only, so the zipped file will likely be best, rather than an active URL.