Cross-references with different text

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Cross-references with different text

Post by Fiona »

I've found a few similar posts in these forums but they date back 7+ years and I'm hoping something has changed since then...

I have a terminology page where definitions can link to other terms (similar to a glossary, but I can't use Flare's glossary proxy as I need functionality that it doesn't provide). What I would like to be able to do is select a word and add a cross-reference without changing what the word is. For example, if I have "directories" in a sentence I want to be able to link that to a heading that is "directory" without the word in the sentence being changed.

I appreciate that this is something that hyperlinks do, but I can't really add hyperlinks to headings within the same topic. Also, hyperlinks and cross-references use different styles, and these should appear to be cross-references.

Is it possible to define a cross-reference style that does this?

Suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks. Fiona
Last edited by Fiona on Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Cross-references with deifferent text

Post by Nita Beck »

Unfortunately, the answer is no. The whole point of a cross-reference is to have Flare automatically grab the first heading in the topic that the xref points to and use that as the link text. If that heading ever changes, the xref will automatically update during a build. And if one manually edits the link text in the XML Editor (or internal text editor), it just won't matter. Flare'll overwrite that with the text based on the heading.

I think the easiest thing you can do is to craft a hyperlink selector that looks the same as your xref selector. Then insert a hyperlink and enter whatever text you want.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Cross-references with different text

Post by Fiona »

Thanks for confirming Nita. I thought that might be the case, I just hoped that maybe there was a cross-reference style to override with user-defined text that I didn't know about!