Old remarks in newly generated pdf

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Liduine
Jr. Propeller Head

Old remarks in newly generated pdf

Post by Liduine »

Hello all,

When I build a new manual (pdf), the result is a pdf that has some remarks in it. These are remarks that I made to one of the first versions of this pdf, months ago! It are some highlighted fields with a question for the engineer I am working with. These questions are already answered months ago, but they keep appearing in every newly generated manual!

How can I get rid of these remarks? And what can I do to prevent this 'feature'?

I tried to throw away the existing files, and I tried to remove the remarks and save the PDF again. This didn’t help, the remarks appear again. I don’t see any variable in the target editor that could be the problem. There must be some hidden location where these data are kept and reused again and again…

The newly generated PDF always opens on the page where I scrolled to the last time that I generated it (only scrolling, without making any change nor saving). That information must be kept in the same ‘hidden location’.

I hope someone here can help me!
Regards,
Liduine
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Old remarks in newly generated pdf

Post by Nita Beck »

By "remarks", I assume you mean Flare's annotations that have been converted into comments in the PDF.

If you want to KEEP the annotations in Flare but just not show them in the PDF, then you need to change something in the PDF target. Open the target and switch to the Advanced tab. Under Output Options, clear the Preserve tracked changes checkbox, which I assume is currently selected. That's why the comments are being included in the PDF.

If you want to REMOVE the annotations from topics, you can do so one at a time or all at once. I suggest you go to the Analysis ribbon and select More Reports > Files with Annotations. That'll give you a sense of how many files you're dealing with. (I *think* you can remove annotations right from here, but that's a guess, as I don't have a project with annotations right now else I'd give you specific instructions.) You can also go to the Review ribbon and use the Delete Annotation command to delete annotations one by one or in the whole project.

Relevant Help topics:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... anges1.htm
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ations.htm

Hope this helps.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Liduine
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Liduine »

Thanks again, Nita!

I meant in the pdf, because I didn't know that I made the comments in Flare! So, that's why I was searching in the pdf generating process for a solution.
But following your suggestions, they appeared in the Analysis report indeed.
You cannot delete them there, here are the actions you can do in the Analysis>Files with annotations:
Annotations.png
Deletion is possible via Review>Delete annotation.
This is only possible in the current topic.
Delete all means Delete in the current topic (there were only 2 so not that much work for me)

I still find it strange that you can't see the comments in the topic (XML editor), only in the text editor.

Regards,
Liduine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

You CAN see the annotations in the XML Editor if you show the Changes panel. Find and open a topic that has annotations in it. Then go to the Review ribbon and select the Show Changes checkbox. Then you'll see the annotations. You can then right-click on a given annotation and delete it. Or select it and use the Review > Delete Annotation.

See https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... tions1.htm.

Thanks for correcting me on the purpose of Delete All Annotations, that it's all in the open topic, not all in the whole project. I don't use annotations much, so I had forgotten that.

FInally, if I may so humbly suggest, the Flare documentation has A LOT of information in it. Get comfortable with it, too!
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!