Settings for a table that SHOULD be wider than body frame?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
AWerner
Jr. Propeller Head

Settings for a table that SHOULD be wider than body frame?

Post by AWerner »

Hi,

I have worked quite a while with Flare but still have trouble finding a solution for "saving space" when it comes to table layouts that should use the whole page width instead of the body frame width.

What I have done: I have added a table within the body frame and given this table a width that is 175 mm over all columns. The body frame of the page layout is only 120 mm though. With images there is no problem, they can be larger than the body frame and are still in the given size in the PDF. But I have no idea how to choose the settings to extend the table width to more than 120 mm.

In my former FrameMaker software we used a 2 column layout with a body and a margin column. With this setup you were able to extend tables, headlines, and other text "across all columns". Is there something alike in FLARE? May be there is a very easy solution to it. Thanks in advance for your ideas!
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Settings for a table that SHOULD be wider than body fram

Post by robdocsmith »

A few ideas to try:
  • Put the table in a div and float that div above the text frame. Not tried this, but it should be possible.
  • Apply a different page layout to the page with the table. I use this as I have 1, 2 and 3 column layouts in my book and various combinations of columns. Disadvantage is that you've got an extra page layout to maintain and need to put in a page break in the TOC - the table can't easily reflow in the main body of text.
  • Create the table outside of Flare as a vector image - yeah I wouldn't do this either but for a once-off it's a useful work around.
  • Create a body frame that is the max width of all proposed elements in your book and then adjust margin-right/margin-left of <body> or <p> to suit your desired narrower space for text. I'd do this by preference as it means you can reset your margins for certain tables or images in the document and not affect anything else.
I'm sure there are other ways to go about it too.

Cheers,

Rob