A generic error occurred in GDI+

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
chenyu
Propeller Head

A generic error occurred in GDI+

Post by chenyu »

Dear Experts,

I'm using Madcap Flare 9.

When I publish the files into PDF the following erorr message appears and no publication is built:

Linking cross-references...
Creating chapters...
Paginating...
Compiler (Internal Error): A generic error occurred in GDI+.
Aborted.

Can you help how to fix it?

Thank you.

Chen
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: A generic error occurred in GDI+

Post by kwag_myers »

I found another thread within this forum on this topic: What causes "generic errors"?

From what I've been able to find via Google, the error seems to most often be linked to an image. So if a new TOC doesn't help, that might be the next place to look. If you only have a few images, you can delete them one at a time to see if you can find the bad one. If you have too many for that, I'd try building webhelp and (if you get a successful output) scan through the topics.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
AWerner
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: A generic error occurred in GDI+

Post by AWerner »

kwag_myers wrote:I found another thread within this forum on this topic: What causes "generic errors"?

From what I've been able to find via Google, the error seems to most often be linked to an image. So if a new TOC doesn't help, that might be the next place to look. If you only have a few images, you can delete them one at a time to see if you can find the bad one. If you have too many for that, I'd try building webhelp and (if you get a successful output) scan through the topics.
Hi,

I know this is a very old post but I have found it when looking desperately for a solution for this "generic error".

Maybe this is no "correct" solution - but I would like to tell you nevertheless because it took me so long to find it. Maybe it can help you as well.

After eliminating topic by topic from my TOC yesterday to find first the topic and then the exact image that causes this problem I was exhausted. It seemed there were problems where nothing went wrong before. Just out of the blue with several ("old") topics - not only a single one. So I compared the whole output structure with former versions and found e.g. the following:

The former target name was shorter!
So I have changed the "target" name to a shorter one. That solved my problem. Alternatively the image file names can be shortened.

I don't understand it regarding that all this refers to PDF output but it worked! :D
Hope this helps you as well.

Anke
(FLARE 2022)