Delimiter requirements for "Paste Table"?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
RJP_TIBCO
Propeller Head

Delimiter requirements for "Paste Table"?

Post by RJP_TIBCO »

I know that the "Paste Table" option works fine for importing from Word, but what if you have a plain text file that you would like to import? What I have is the developers would like to create a several column output of various parameters and descriptions that I could drop directly into Flare as a table. What, if any, delimiters does Flare recognize when dealing with a plain text file? Or is there another way to get the plain text file content easily into a table?

Thanks.
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Delimiter requirements for "Paste Table"?

Post by Feebeegeebee »

I don't think there is any way to specify delimiters for a table imported into Flare.
Instead, I would just take the plain text file, dump it into Word, where you can specify the delimiter you want, make sure the columns and data are all correct.
Then, just paste it from Word into Flare as a table, and it should be fine.
Regards,
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
-----------------------------------------------------
RJP_TIBCO
Propeller Head

Post by RJP_TIBCO »

Yes, thanks, that would certainly work, but what the developers are looking to do is create output that I can directly dump into Flare, without having to do any intermediate steps. We want as streamlined a process as possible.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

How about having the s/w devs write the tables in Markdown and then import the Markdown files into Flare? I've never done this myself, but Flare 2022 r2 (maybe earlier?) supports this workflow.

See https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Files.htm
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
RJP_TIBCO
Propeller Head

Post by RJP_TIBCO »

Nita,
Thanks for mentioning that. Markdown is in fact one of the options the software team is considering. I'll let you know how it turns out if we go that route.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

If the idea is to paste a whole table into an existing topic, if the text file the developers provide included the table html tags then you could switch to code view to paste it. I'd insert a paragraph and single letter at the location and select the letter before switching to code view so the cursor is in the right spot to just paste. I think that would work to replace a whole table as well. But you'd have to experiment a bit if you were trying to replace or insert rows.
RJP_TIBCO
Propeller Head

Post by RJP_TIBCO »

And Psider, that is exactly what we are doing now. The devs supplied me with an HTML-tagged table after I sent them a sample table from Flare and I just drop it in code view in a new topic as you described. Only thing I have to do after that is apply a table style.