Field-level Context-Sensitive Help

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Toko
Propeller Head

Field-level Context-Sensitive Help

Post by Toko »

Hi,

I need to create field-level CSH -- user clicks icon next to GUI field and a pop-up window displays the help.

Question: How do I define the pop-up window in which the help appears? Or is this done by the developers?

1. I created a micro-content file and from topics, inserted selected content into this micro-content file.
2. I generated an Alias help file from this micro-content file.
3. Checked that the calls work using Flare's built-in Test CSH tool.
4. Provided developers with the header file and gave them this JS to call the help:
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://techdocs.audc.com/test/csh.js"><\script>
<input type="button" value="Open Help System" onclick="MadCap.OpenHelp(SMART_4000, null, null, null );" />
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Field-level Context-Sensitive Help

Post by BedfordWriter »

That would normally be done by the developers. On the documentation side, you can't do much beyond specify which topic is to open.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: Field-level Context-Sensitive Help

Post by trent the thief »

Hi Toko,

Can you provide a few more details?

What is the app's code platform?
Is this a desktop or web-based app?
If it's desktop, are you shipping the help and app for installation on-site or does the app make outbound calls to access help on Central? Ask

If it's browser-based, use the network tab in Developer Tools to see the requests/responses. You could also try using TCPView from the SysInternals package distributed by Microsoft (not always allowed by IT) to watch for the app making any outbound calls to help. Just enter its process name in the search box and tcpview will filter to only that app. If you see the calls from the desktop and there's nothing coming back, there could be some block on the network. If you have a network team, they ought to be able to nail that pretty quickly.

If it's browser-based, you might be experiencing pop-up blocking or AV issues.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: