Image Naming Conventions

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Roger475
Jr. Propeller Head

Image Naming Conventions

Post by Roger475 »

We have a large Flare project from which we create several documents which share information. There are just under 1000 images which are maintained in Figma software and exported as PNGs for inclusion in Flare.

We're looking to standardize the file naming of the images. I'm wondering if anyone else has managed a library of images, and has any tips on how you have managed file naming?
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Image Naming Conventions

Post by robdocsmith »

I think the answer will vary widely and probably comes down to "Whatever makes most sense to you".

My docset also has many thousands of images featuring components of various classes of boat. So, instead of grouping by document chapter (images can be used in many locations), I group by function. I've boat-specific ones that I put in folders named after the boat. I've engine related ones that go in an engine folder. I've common files that cover a wide range of things across all boats.

I also keep a duplicate set of folders outside of my project for use when constructing images. So each image exists in both the construction zone and the project in the same location. The construction zone includes source images, Illustrator files, Photoshop files etc as well as the final PNG which then gets copied to the project. I don't like all those construction assets cluttering up my project files.

That structure enables me to find an image quickly. As for naming, again I let function override chapter name. So it's a boatname_fireextinguiser_location.png, not a safety_boatname_fireextinguiser_location.png. Using broad-to-narrow categories in my image names makes the structure easy to follow.

Rob
Roger475
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Image Naming Conventions

Post by Roger475 »

Thank you robdocsmith.