MadCap suddenly closing

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
sds
Propeller Head

MadCap suddenly closing

Post by sds »

Has anyone experienced this? I just recently updated to Windows 11 22H2 and I know from experience that this version has a lot of issues. I'm hoping that's not it.

I've been watching my computer processes on one monitor and when it occurs, I'm not seeing anything jump out at me. I haven't been in MadCap heavily for the last few months, but have been for the last few days, and it's been happening regularly. I'll be plugging away and then everything suddenly just stops and it closes. My progress isn't saved. No errors or anything. It's like I just closed out of the application.
RStreets
Propeller Head

Re: MadCap suddenly closing

Post by RStreets »

The one time I have this happen to me (regardless of Windows version or, indeed, Flare version) is if I have many topics and snippets open simultaneously. Eventually, and I don't have a precise number at which this happens, I open another one and Flare closes. I ask because you say you've been using Flare heavily recently, which might mean you also have many open files. I don't have a solution other than the regular use of Save/Save All.
Rae Streets (Flare user since 2017, now on Flare 2023; Central user from 2020)
Richard W
Propeller Head

Post by Richard W »

Flare started abruptly closing during the build process today, for me. Apparently it's being killed by BitDefender for "suspicious behaviour". I started a thread about it above.

If that were your problem, I would assume that there would be a visible notification, though. And my issue must be a problem with an overzealous BitDefender update rather than with Flare, since Flare hasn't changed.
sds
Propeller Head

Post by sds »

Thanks for the input to both of you.

Unfortunately, neither match my predicament. It's just happening while I'm doing regular things. For example, I'll be typing away in a topic file and then it just freezes, then closes. No error or anything. Or, I might be inserting a responsive layout row. The day after I posted this, I actually found that it'd closed on me while I was away at lunch (so I wasn't even IN it).

I'm hesitant to blame it on recent changes to my computer (i.e., Windows updates) just because I've only briefly worked in it over the last few months. These last couple of weeks, I've been it daily and most of the day. It's possible this has been going on for awhile.

On the other hand, I'm also seeing a known Windows bug after the update. If File Explorer is left open, it'll suddenly and randomly become active. My task bar goes active and File Explorer comes forward, interrupting me. It does NOT coincide with MadCap closing, but it's still another buggy behavior I've seen and *definitely* only since the last Windows update. When I Google that, I do get hits, but it seems to be more of a nuisance than an actual problem (like, something happening to my C: where the files I'm editing are stored).

I've been logging the times when Flare closes so my network administrator can check my computer logs to see if anything coincides with it. Hopefully I find something.
Richard W
Propeller Head

Post by Richard W »

For what it's worth, I fixed my problem by doing a "Repair" on the Flare installation.

Even if it's not the same issue in your case, that seems worth a try. One of my files must have become corrupted, or a file registration lost somehow, or something like that.
sds
Propeller Head

Post by sds »

Richard - At the risk of sounding incompetent... How does one go about doing a "repair" on the Flare installation?

EDIT: Never mind - I think you must be talking about the Windows Repair. I will give that a shot. Fingers crossed.
sds
Propeller Head

Post by sds »

UPDATE: I did the repair on the MadCap installation. So far, so good... I hope.

UPDATE: The repair on the MadCap installation didn't seem to solve the problem. Nothing is shaking out from my computer's logs, either. Bummer.