Ratings on articles from annonymous readers

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
aharper12
Propeller Head

Ratings on articles from annonymous readers

Post by aharper12 »

Hi there! Is anyone using any sort of start rating system on their help centre output (HTML) to collect annonymous user feedback? We have a help centre output and we'd like to allow our users (all annonymous; no login required to read our content) to rate articles (based on a 5-star system) as to how helpful the content was to them. We are trying to use Pulse right now but the stars are timing out before users can see them and the Pulse reports do not allow filtering by date range or IP address so the results are not terribly useful... I am wondering if anyone else has implemented anything similar, with any positive results? TIA!

Adriana
gsm1
Propeller Head

Re: Ratings on articles from annonymous readers

Post by gsm1 »

Just wondering if you resolved this issue? Potentially interested in trying Pulse out. But I need to know it works really well before investing a lot of time and money.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I use Google Analytics to capture this sort of information.

In short, you could create your own control for people to select the star rating. Then when users select a rating, your script sends an "event" to GA. The event data can include 3 pieces of information, so it might send something back like: "Rating", "5", "xyz.com/xyz/your-topic.htm". Then you can view all the event data in GA.

In my help, I have a control with a number of options (radio buttons), to give feedback about why the user didn't find the topic helpful.

I've described it in this thread, in these 2 posts:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20563#p126079
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=139499#p131185 (updated script)
aharper12
Propeller Head

Post by aharper12 »

Wow, thank you this is a great idea that we will try out!

Re. Pulse - Madcap is actually sunsetting their support for it. I would suggest investigating Central instead of Pulse (which they are ramping up as a tool for analytics instead of Pulse).

Adriana
gsm1
Propeller Head

Post by gsm1 »

Sorry about the 3 year delay in following up. Must have gotten busy. Anyway, I'm just wondering what your guidance would be today for the same issue, obtaining online help topic ratings/analytics/feedback. We need to be GDPR compliant. I would add that my skin is Tri-pane based. However, with a bit of help from MadCap, I created a master page that incorporates an accordion-style menu bar. The menu bar largely duplicates the TOC sidebar. So users can find most topics using either tool.