RESOLVED: Flare 7 + SVG + Java = "Load Failed"

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

RESOLVED: Flare 7 + SVG + Java = "Load Failed"

Post by Phlawm53 »

For Flare 7, W7 64-bit, Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03), SVG lion.svg per the attached ZIP container.

I'm trying to put an SVG image in a Flare topic. When I do, Flare displays a "Java is required to process SVG files" message box, then in the topic displays a "Load failed" placeholder after I click OK.
  • In Windows, in the command window, the command java -version returns Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03).
  • The SVG seems to be a valid one insofar as I can display it in GIMP. (That is to say that GIMP will sometimes complain about one or another aspect of other SVG files, then refuse to render those files in the editing window.) Because the forum complained "The extension svg is not allowed", I've uploaded the SVG image lion.svg in lion.zip
Is the problem perhaps installation order? I recently uninstalled my JDK / JRE and re-installed on D. (My C drive is running low on space, and so I've installed both the JRE and Flare on D.) Asked another way, is the issue that I somehow need to update Flare 7's awareness of where the 1.6 JRE lives?

Any other ideas? (Searching both Flare 7 online help and this forum for "SVG Java" returned no results. I'll address that omission in a separate bug report…)

Cheers & thanks for your help,
Riley
SFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Phlawm53 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare 7 + SVG + Java = "Load Failed"

Post by Phlawm53 »

An update.

I filed a bug on the absence of information in the online help system. In response, Madcap suggested I re-install GhostScript and provided a link to the appropriate Sourceforge page. So, I uninstalled my existing installation of Ghostscript 9.00 for 32-bit Windows and installed GhostScript 9.02 for 64-bit Windows.

No change.

I also tried adding the JAVA_HOME variable to my system and defined it to point to my 64-bit SDK / JRE at "D:\Program Files\Java\jre6\".

No change.

Fortunately the inability to import SVGs into a Flare topic is not at this time a show stopper. But I remain annoyed, not so much that there's a problem, but Flare 7's error messaging and online help resources are not providing me with the information I need to isolate and resolve the problem…

Cheers,
Riley
SFO
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Phlawm53 »

Update: As of this morning, ran update to Flare 7.1.0.

No change.
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Phlawm53 »

This topic is of course quite old. So it may not be all that useful for me to update it.

That said, it turned out that the "trick" was that IF one was running an instance of 32-bit Flare on a 64-bit computer, THEN one needed to install a 32-bit JRE.

In most cases, those running a 64-bit computer end up with a 64-bit JRE. 32-bit instances of Flare wouldn't interoperate with it.

More recently, Madcap has released 64-bit versions of Flare. So the problem to some extent goes away.

Cheers & hope this helps,
Riley
SFO
SergeiS
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: RESOLVED: Flare 7 + SVG + Java = "Load Failed"

Post by SergeiS »

Just in case someone with higher Flare versions encounters this issue

Issue
In our case, we received computers with Windows 10 64-bit and Flare 2021 R2 64-bit

When inserting SVG images into a topic, Flare just showed a gray rectangle "Load failed"

When building an HTML target, there were NO build warnings, and the HTML output showed these SVG images as expected

When building a PDF target, for each SVG image there was a build warning, and the PDF output did NOT show these SVG images at all:
10032 - Java is required to process SVG files. Download OpenJDK (free) or Oracle JRE from: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/downloads/java.aspx

Solution
Looks like our computers did not have Java installed (regular Java - not SDK / JDK)
We installed the latest Java packages 32-bit and 64-bit from https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp