Word: "Build failed: Generation of output can not be...."

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Word: "Build failed: Generation of output can not be...."

Post by oceanclub »

Hi all,

We're suddenly getting the following error when we try to build Word targets:

Build failed: Generation of output can not be completed.

This is happening to the team so it's not a local environment issue. It's also happening on older Flare projects which had been generating Word versions fine. It does not appear to be upgrade-related since I generated Word docs fine since the last upgrade. Any help appreciated.

Code: Select all

Patching links and page references...
Saving word output...
Build failed: Generation of output can not be completed.

Command failed
Saving log to "C:\Output\DeveloperGuide\DeveloperGuide.mclog"
</Messages>
    <Warnings />
    <Errors>
        <LogEntry File="Project\Targets\DeveloperGuide.fltar" Message="Build failed: Generation of output can not be completed.

Command failed
" LineIndex="-1" CharIndex="-1" Subsystem="Compiler" Target="DeveloperGuide" ErrorID="10086" />
    </Errors>
</MadCapLog>
EDIT: This appears to be linked to my company starting to use the built-in data classification for DLP as implemented in Microsoft Word 365.
mosheg2
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Word: "Build failed: Generation of output can not be....

Post by mosheg2 »

I'm also experiencing this issue. Did you find a fix?
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

mosheg2 wrote:I'm also experiencing this issue. Did you find a fix?
Hi there, yup I did, it was due to a Microsoft security issue:

"This appears to be linked to my company starting to use the built-in data classification for DLP as implemented in Microsoft Word 365."

P.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Maybe connected with this - I had a Word target seemingly stuck embedding images.
When I eventually decided to close everything on my desktop, delete output folders and so on, to try again I found an innocuous pop up (underneath Flare) asking if Word should allow a document free rein to change things on my computer. I was suspicious as I hadn't tried to open a Word doc, there was no mention of Flare or even the doc title, and I had long since forgotten about this forever compiling one... but it turned out clicking yes to this pop up, hidden underneath everything else, is now the key to alow Word targets finishing compiling!
Mishou6779
Propeller Head

Post by Mishou6779 »

ajturnersurrey wrote:Maybe connected with this - I had a Word target seemingly stuck embedding images.
When I eventually decided to close everything on my desktop, delete output folders and so on, to try again I found an innocuous pop up (underneath Flare) asking if Word should allow a document free rein to change things on my computer. I was suspicious as I hadn't tried to open a Word doc, there was no mention of Flare or even the doc title, and I had long since forgotten about this forever compiling one... but it turned out clicking yes to this pop up, hidden underneath everything else, is now the key to alow Word targets finishing compiling!
I can't believe the irony of the timing on this. I just signed in because I have that same issue with getting to the embedding part and my Word builds fail.

So...how exactly did you get to that hidden pop-up window? Did you just minimize all of the other open windows?

I am desperate to get this resolved as someone needs a document yesterday (of course...is there any other time for software problems?).
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Absolutely - I just closed every other application and found it sat on my desktop at the lowest level. Though it might be affected by the way your virus checker interacts with Word warnings. I'm on Windows 10 with AVG Business.

This must have been a very recent change - I rarely do MSWord targets, but I did one only last week, with no issue, so I was particularly baffled by the problem today.
Mishou6779
Propeller Head

Post by Mishou6779 »

I just tried it, but no luck. Is it something you have to catch quickly? I started the Word build then walked away for a few minutes, then came back and minimized it and no banana. No pop-up. Would a pop-up just go away without any user interaction? (I'm a dreamer. I want to solve this without having to talk to my company's IT security team. They're nice enough. I'm just lazy and kinda dreading having the conversation.)
M_Mercer2015
Propeller Head

Post by M_Mercer2015 »

This happened to me too this week. I minimized all of my other windows until I found the Microsoft warning popup message. Once I selected the option that allowed the build to proceed it did so promptly.

What I don't understand is that I've been using Flare since 2015 and this is the first time this has happened while building a Word target.
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Word: "Build failed: Generation of output can not be...."

Post by Feebeegeebee »

I just had this error too. I thought the Word output generation was just hanging indefinitely, as the file wasn't being launched.

If you use Alt + Tab on Windows, you can spot the Word Security Notice popup window and then confirm to get rid of it.
This is horrible, and I wonder why it's now happening for lots of people.
If you don't know the popup is there, you are just stuck waiting for the build to complete.
Thanks to those who posted something on here, that made me look for it.
Regards,
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
-----------------------------------------------------