Footer frame content invisible

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Be_eM
Propeller Head

Footer frame content invisible

Post by Be_eM »

Hi,
I'm currently editing Page Layouts in a project, and I cannot get the content of footer frames (or header frames for that matter) to show up on the respective page. I've done the same thing in other projects where everything works as expected, i.e. I'm able to use the "Select Frame Text…" command or edit the respective text using the F2 key after selecting the footer frame. Just in this project every single attempt to create content (e.g. a page number) in the footer frame fails.
Screenshot 2023-05-24 171450.png
Is there any logical reason why this may happen? Am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance,
Bernd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Footer frame content invisible

Post by robdocsmith »

Is there any padding on the frame (right click it and check its properties) that is pushing content out of the visible area?
Try adding a new decoration frame and adding in the same content to see if it displays correctly.
Can you copy the footer or layout from a project where it works and use/modify that in this current project?

If it were me I'd check the source for the flpgl file and see what it says. Possible reasons could be the style is too big for the container, there are multiple containers overlaid on each other, some style issue with the text. If you've never looked at a page layout they can be a little daunting, but soon make sense.

I expect to see something like:

Code: Select all

<Frame Flow="footer" Height="6mm" Anchors="Left,Top" X="0mm" Y="178mm" TextAlign="left" VerticalAlign="top" Width="287mm">
            <Content>
                <xhtml:html xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
                    <xhtml:head>
                    </xhtml:head>
                    <xhtml:body>
                       <xhtml:p>Page <MadCap:variable xhtml:name="System.PageNumber" /> of <MadCap:variable xhtml:name="System.PageCount" /> 
                        </xhtml:p>
                    </xhtml:body>
                </xhtml:html>
            </Content>
        </Frame>
With no other frames existing in the same space. There should be a maximum of one footer frame and one header frame per page defintion.

Rob
Be_eM
Propeller Head

Re: Footer frame content invisible

Post by Be_eM »

Thanks for your response. I've tracked it down to the styles.css file, after swapping master pages and the stylesheet between two projects. With the stylesheet of another project the contained text shows up, both in the other project and in the "broken" project.

However, I'm still not able to find the cause or the style/parameter which causes this problem. I cannot use the other project's stylesheet, too many differences, so I need to solve this in the original stylesheet. I'm just not sure where to look, besides the used styles (p) in the footer frame.

What else besides the used (p) style to check?

Edit: Found it. I was checking all the styles of html entities used in those frames, among them "body". And there it was, a weird setting for padding in the "Box" section.

Thanks for your help,
Bernd