Best practice for applying condition tags to topics?

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Tobias
Propeller Head

Best practice for applying condition tags to topics?

Post by Tobias »

Hi together,

I`m using condition tags to filter topics e.g. for internal/external content. It is possible to assign condition tags on individual topics in the content explorer, but it is also possible to assign condition tags to topics in the TOC.
There won`t be a one-size-fits all solution, but I was wondering which practice makes more sense, e.g. what are the advantages/disadvantages of both?
Kind regards
Tobias
Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Best practice for applying condition tags to topics?

Post by Matze »

Hi, you can also set a condition on a TOC entry by using [F4]. Then you have conditioned the TOC entry, but not the entire topic, so your colleagues can use it in other projects.

I use both: On topics for "use only in PDF" or "use only in HTML" and on TOC entries for only this project.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

A condition tag set on a topic means you can set the target conditions to exclude that topic from the output altogether. If the topic is excluded, then it wouldn't be included in any output TOC either (so you don't need to use a condition to exclude the TOC item too).

A condition tag set on TOC item only removes that TOC item from the output TOC.
So in a help output like HTML5, the topic would not appear in the TOC, but it could still be included in the output files. (If the target is set to Content to include: All content.)
It makes no difference for PDF outputs - as the output only includes what's in the TOC, excluding a TOC item has the same effect as excluding the topic.
Tobias
Propeller Head

Post by Tobias »

Thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention that we solely use PDF output
So there is no right or wrong whether I put my condition tags on the topic files or on the TOC entries
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

For your case, no, it doesn't matter which. But do keep in mind that at some stage your might be required to produce a different kind of output, so where you set the condition becomes more relevant.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx