Excluding content for ZIP Option

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Excluding content for ZIP Option

Post by Matze »

Hi all,
is there a way to excludes files and folders when I ZIP my entire Flare project.
We are often make flare archives when the project is finished, e.g. for a closed release.

But I need not extract all the stupid stuff such as original images or anything else.
Is there a nice workaround?

Thx,

Matthias
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: Excluding content for ZIP Option

Post by trent the thief »

Tell us why archiving incomplete projects is part of your workflow?

A project zipped up without the full contents would not be usable and you couldn't build it again to see the content.

IMHO, your best path is to use Zip Project from the Save group on the ribbon. You can open a Zipped Project file and your entire project is ready to build just as you left it.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Matze »

Hi Trent,
we have some handmade workarounds because we are using Flare without any kind of version control like git.
When making a manual release we zip the entire project. Sounds crazy - right :blaze:

But it makes no sense for me to zip all the entire files, all these hundrets of files.
E.g, topics - makes sense for me! But e.g. all original digi cam image files, make no sense for me!.
Just thinking about solution to put a condition on these unwanted files.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

Hi Matze,

I can only shake my head in agreement and then tell you to zip the whole project. I've been tech writing since the early '90s and in my experience, the only regrets you'll ever suffer from over archived work is when a file is missing and you can't recreate that output with a click of Publish Primary.

Trust me, I worked that way for a long time. Zip the whole project. If nothing else, you can move it off to tape, external usb, or cloud backup to get it off the filesystem.

I can't stress how much you'll regret not zipping the complete project when you find that you can't recreate a project's output because something was missing.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: