Folder based Lingo project

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Dafra08
Propeller Head

Folder based Lingo project

Post by Dafra08 »

I am experimenting a bit with file based and folder based Lingo projects, since I want to streamline the translation management by not including the entire Flare project. Both work well and have their pros and cons, but there is two things I don't understand about folder based projects.

When I create a folder based Lingo project I get the opportunity to choose which file types should be included. This is good as I can be specific about what file types should be translated.

1. When I update the folder based project I never get the opportunity to choose file types, the only option is to select the folder so Lingo will scoop everything up, including the files that were excluded the first time around, which renders the entire update feature redundant. I might as well start a new Lingo project, or base the Lingo project on the entire Flare project. How can exclude files when updating a folder based Lingo project?

Example: I have added the \Content folder to the Lingo project, but chosen to exclude all the image files (PNG, GIF, JPG etc.) that are located in \Content\Resources\Images. When updating the project I select to update the \Content folder, since I want to update the files in that folder (also see question 2 below), then Lingo includes all files in all subfolders in \Content, i.e. all the image files that were excluded when creating the project.

2. How do I exclude sub folders when selecting a folder?
Example: I want to include HTM files in \Content, but not HTM files in \Content\releasenotes. I need to select the \Content folder, but I can't exclude \releasenotes. Being able to exclude subfolders would somewhat solve question 1, since I woulb be able to choose which folders to update.
Dafra08
Propeller Head

Re: Folder based Lingo project

Post by Dafra08 »

Aha, I might be onto something! I was updating the Lingo project while I was writing the previous post, and Lingo was processing all files, so I thought all files were in the process of being added to the Lingo project. But ... it turns out that only files of the file types that were included in the first round were actually included. All image files were excluded for example. It just seems that Lingo has to run through all the files to check if they were included or not in the first round. Hmm, sort of waste of time, but you can always do something else in the meantime.

Note:
When you update a folder based Lingo project, the files in the folder you add will overwrite all files in the existing project. You can't first update the \Project\TOC folder, and then the \Content folder. Then the \Project\TOC folder will be removed from the Lingo project. Therefore:

1. When you originally create your project, select the Flare project root folder (where the FLPRJ file is located) and which file types you want to include in the project.
2. When updating the project, select the Flare project root folder. Lingo will sift through all files, but only add the file types you selected when creating the Lingo project.

If you select individual folders in the Flare project, and then try to update all folders by selecting the Flare project root folder you will get an error message about folder names not matching.

Last edited by Dafra08 on Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dafra08
Propeller Head

Post by Dafra08 »

Too quick to draw conclusions. Turns out that you can't select a folder that contains an FLPRJ file when creating a new Lingo project ... Lingo tells you to add the FLPRJ file as a file. And since I won't be able to update the project if I select individual folders in the project I'm back to square one ...

Workarounds off the top of my mind:
- Create two projects, one for the \Project folder and one for the \Content folder.
- Create one project and select the individual folders. Run the update in two phases. First for the \Project folder, then for the \Content folder. Sounds tedious.
- Create new Lingo projects every time.
- Create a file based project.
Last edited by Dafra08 on Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dafra08
Propeller Head

Post by Dafra08 »

The dealbreaker seems to be that you can't exclude text based on conditions in neither folder based nor file based projects. Or does anyone know if that is possible? If yes, how?