When trying to build a CHM, the build consistently fails with the following error:
Build failed: Compiler: Failed to copy temporary chm file C:\Flare Projects\Docs\Output\dipsum\Temporary\Help\Target\Content\Target.chm to C:\Flare Projects\Docs\Output\dipsum\Help\Target\Target.chm [Could not find file 'C:\Flare Projects\Docs\Output\dipsum\Temporary\Help\Target\Content\Target.chm'.].
If you go to the file location mentioned, it turns out that the "Target.chm" file does not exist. From this I understood that compiler failed to actually build the file, rather than just failing to copy it.
I tried the following without success:
- Creating a fresh project
- Shortening the directory lengths (all directory names were well under the 256 character limit for CHMs)
- Normal Flare troubleshooting (clearing the registry/appdata, uninstalling/reinstalling)
This is apparently related to a mismatch between the Windows system language and the Flare project language. For me, oddly, these seemed to be the same - both English (US). Since I'm in New Zealand, I changed the Flare project language to English (New Zealand) and this time it built the CHM successfully. I think there must be a hidden setting somewhere that is set to English (NZ), which possibly came through when my company updated their IT policies recently.
So the workaround is to temporarily change the language of my Flare project whenever I need to build a CHM, which is thankfully not very often!