No Alias Editor?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Melodie
Propeller Head

No Alias Editor?

Post by Melodie »

Hi all,
Can someone help me work out why my alias.h file opens in the text editor rather than the alias editor I have read about??
Self taught Flare Newbie!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: No Alias Editor?

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! ;) Many of us, myself included, started out as self-taught Flare users. You are in good company.

The .h file is not the alias file. It's a header file. A Flare alias file has the file extension .flali (although you might not see the extension inside the Flare project itself. See more here about alias files: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Files.htm.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

And a little more context...

If you were given the header (.h) file by your s/w devs, then you will need to create a new alais file, which will open in the Alias Editor. In the editor's toolbar, there is a drop-down field with which you can select the .h file. Flare will read in the header file, and thereafter you can set up the aliases between Flare's identifies and the header file. When you save the alias file, Flare will update the header file "under the hood."

Here's info about header files in particular, which I should have also linked to earlier: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Files.htm
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

... between Flare's identifiers...

Sigh, but I wish one could edit one's own post, but alas, one can't.
Nita
Melodie
Propeller Head

Post by Melodie »

Nita Beck wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:44 am Welcome to the forums! ;) Many of us, myself included, started out as self-taught Flare users. You are in good company.

The .h file is not the alias file. It's a header file. A Flare alias file has the file extension .flali (although you might not see the extension inside the Flare project itself. See more here about alias files: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Files.htm.
Thank you soooo much! One line of text and it all becomes clear :D (In the File Type field at the top, make sure Alias File is selected.) I recreated the file, made sure it said Alias File and voila! it works! You are a special kind of wonderful! This has bugged me for 3 days!
Last edited by Melodie on Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Glad to be of service!

Now, back to you teaching yourself Flare, if you have not already checked them out, there are two other places (and likely more) where Flare users hang out to ask and answer questions. One is the LinkedIn group "Users of MadCap Flare" and the other is the Slack community "MadCap Flare User Groups."

Check out MadCap's Community page (https://www.madcapsoftware.com/community/ from which you can find both. I *think* you can self-join the LinkedIn group. For the Slack community, you can request an invitation from MadCap. The link is on the Community page.
Nita
Melodie
Propeller Head

Post by Melodie »

Thankyou Nita, Its a learning curve but I am enjoying it :)