Importing From RH 2020? Best practices for importing large merged help system?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
JaredHess
Jr. Propeller Head

Importing From RH 2020? Best practices for importing large merged help system?

Post by JaredHess »

Hello! It's been quit some time since I've posted.

I've been using RoboHelp for almost 20 years now. Our company is making a push to unify authoring tools around MadCap Flare, and they've purchased Flare licenses for our tech writers. For one of the teams I support, we have a huge merged help system created in RoboHelp that we'll need to convert. It's been heavily customized with javascript. We currently use RoboHelp 2017, though I'm trying to determine whether upgrading these projects to RoboHelp 2020 would come across easier into Flare. But looking further into this, it surprised me to see that Flare doesn't offer an option to import RoboHelp 2020 at all (.rhpj).

Does anyone know when such an option might become available?

Or if it'll be some time before it becomes available, what are the best practices to importing a merged help system from RoboHelp 2017 (.xpj) into Flare.

Regards,

Jared
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Importing From RH 2020? Best practices for importing large merged help system?

Post by Psider »

I can't help with the "rhpj when" side, but many, many years ago I worked on converting RH to Flare (maybe around RH8?). I dont know what's changed in the meantime, but you can use this list as a starting point for things to check as you convert.

viewtopic.php?p=128168#p128168

Then there are a couple of other posts where I've remembered a few other points at different times:
viewtopic.php?p=141453#p141453
viewtopic.php?p=142389#p142389

And Scott DeLoach has books that might help: viewtopic.php?p=142631#p142631
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Importing From RH 2020? Best practices for importing large merged help system?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I suggest you also reach out to MadCap directly through the team you purchased from, as they should be able to give you some targeted guidance for your situation - after all, they want you to keep buying Flare licences so it's in their interest to help you get your projects converted! :D

Their Tech Support people are pretty handy and may be able to suggest the most sensible and effective steps for you to use to minimise the pain of converting.

And welcome to Flare!
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
JaredHess
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JaredHess »

Thanks for the response, Psider. I'll give those a try.
Do the Flare developers monitor this forum? If so, maybe one of them can give an update of when a RH 2020 import might become available?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Not really. I've occasionally seen one pop in (moreso in the past) but not recently.