Extra PDF Page Inserted

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
teknikulriter
Propeller Head

Extra PDF Page Inserted

Post by teknikulriter »

Hi

Flare is inserting one (and only one) page in the output PDF file between chapters 2 and 3. I cannot figure out how to prevent that.

The properties in every html file is exactly the same ("auto-end on enabled. This is our style and we CANNOT change this).

There is no hidden text in the preceding html file.

There are no page breaks in the html file preceding chapter 3, and no page breaks in the Chapter 3 html file.

We cannot change anything in the master page.

Any ideas? I've reached out to Flare support, and they can't get it to work.
teknikulriter
Propeller Head

Re: Extra PDF Page Inserted

Post by teknikulriter »

Hello? Anybody out there in FlareLand?

Bueller?
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

I suspect the silence is because of it's not an easy fix and it depends greatly on your docset and what you hope to achieve, and how far along in your Flare journey you are...

Flare does quite a complicated job converting HTML files to PDF and there could be many reasons for additional pages to appear. I have had to troubleshoot similar issues in my own docset and am always apprehensive when touching "auto-end" settings or adding new chapters.

Trying to understand your docset. What is the style that is dictated to you for auto-end? Each chapter has even pages? Each html page has even pages? Each book overall has even pages?

If I explain what I do, perhaps it might point you into some areas to look at. For me I have many thousands of htm files and fragments that get turned into approx 300 page books containing approx 12 sections. Each section ends on an even page and therefore the overall book has even pages. I'm not imposing the PDF to signatures so I don't need to worry about multiples of 4 pages.

Each chapter starts with a top level intro page with a chapter break which has "auto-end" set to ENABLED.
HTML pages within each chapter use page breaks (where needed) for various forms of pagination and page layouts, and all have the "auto-end" set to DISABLED. What this does is make the overall chapter (all html pages are contained within a chapter) end on an even page but allow any contained pages to start on left or right pages. I think sometimes there is a conflict when every page is set to auto-end-ENABLED and Flare gets confused about where the additional pages should be put.
All my chapter intro page layouts have an "empty" page defined. Flare uses this to even out a chapter with an odd page count. If no "empty" page is defined, it will just put in an blank page.

When I was starting to work out my pagination settings, I started with a less is more approach. Select all items in the TOC and set auto-end to DISABLED. Then identify and select select only those top level items that need to be even-ed out - the discrete chunks of your book - and change those to auto-end ENABLED. Generate your doc and see if you are getting better results.

Hope that helps,
Rob
teknikulriter
Propeller Head

Post by teknikulriter »

Hi

Sorry I'm not sure what a docset is. I think you're referring to the a specific TOC in a project? I'm trying to achieve the removal of an extra page in my output PDF.

At this point, I've opened up another ticket with Flare and am trying to resolve it. For some bizarre reason, this isn't easy.

This is the kind of peculiarity with Flare that doesn't make me think it's the best Content Management program. These are simple fixes made by complex by hidden code. I have suggested reporting this issue as a bug to the Flare Techs.

Enabled is every page. Every file has this setting in every TOC. This is the only one not working.

Still working with the tech and I will post the resolution when/if resolved.