Printed Autonumbering Different from Flare's

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
JMRollins
Jr. Propeller Head

Printed Autonumbering Different from Flare's

Post by JMRollins »

For some reason and only in one section, my autonumbering in Flare looks great (and looks right in text editor), but the PDF keeps changing.

The first autonumbering goes to the ones after it like:

...and then continues as it should after the last one.

Any ideas on what could be going on and how to remedy it?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Printed Autonumbering Different from Flare's

Post by SteveS »

The first thing you must realise is that autonumbering within Flare only works for an open topic, but within an output, it should work seamlessly across the whole project, depending on where you reset the counter.

For example, if you have a global reset, the numbers should increment through the whole build, but if you rest by chapters, the numbering should start again whenever you start a new chapter.

Check to see how you have defined your third-level autonumbers, what triggers a reset, and whether the trigger is present where the glitch is occurring.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
JMRollins
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JMRollins »

How can I see what's triggering the numbering change? It's only happening in that single topic, but no other topic has that issue. The others have normal autonumbering in their printed format, while everything "looks" great in XML and the text views for the problem topic.
JMRollins
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by JMRollins »

I did an experiment and found that somehow the Figure stylesheet entry messing with the numbering somehow.

Currently, the autonumbering is set up as:

H: {b}FIGURE {chapnum}{n+}: {/b}

Still can't figure out why that or what in the Figure settings could cause the printed version to reset the count.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

You haven't specified the scope of the counter. You've given it a name ("H") but no scope. What happens if you specify "GH" (meaning, a global counter, as in, have numbers increment through the entire target) or "CH" (meaning a chapter counter, as in, reset at the start of a chapter).
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Check out these auto-number formats: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... amples.htm

Also, although you can name a counter however you please, the "H" name is typically meant to represent headings, not figures.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!