Google Analytics search terms

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
lhguillory
Jr. Propeller Head

Google Analytics search terms

Post by lhguillory »

I have Google Analytics GA4 set up to track user interactions. I have the GA4 code in the masterpage <head> section. It seems to be working, as I can view page usage for the last year.

However, it doesn't seem to be tracking search terms entered into the site. In Reports > Engagement > Events, I only have 7 event types listed (page_view, scroll, user_engagement, session_start, first_visit, click, and form_start). I don't have any search listings.

In the Admin section for a property, I have "Enhanced measurements" turned on with "Site search" as one of the measurements. In the "Show advanced settings" for Site search, I have the parameters search,q,s,highlight . We use these settings for top nav, side nav, and tripane layouts.

Is there something obvious I am missing for Google Analyics to track search terms that users enter into our sites? Do I need to specifically add some type of "search term" event? I thought the Admin > Enhanced measurement setting would automatically collect search term data.

I've spent hours reading forums and watching videos and can't seem to find an answer. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Lori
kmckenna7
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Google Analytics search terms

Post by kmckenna7 »

Same issue here.... Anyone find a workraround?
kmckenna7
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by kmckenna7 »

Just adding another comment to boost this. Anyone find a workaround?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I don't have any specific advice, but perhaps this page can offer some help. It runs through setting up GA4 (and I learnt a few things about how it works I hadn't realised before), then covers reports and finally other options if the generic search tracking doesn't work. No guarantees, but worth a read, in case, I think.

https://www.analyticsmania.com/post/tra ... ng-methods