Numbering Weirdness - Losing Autonumbering

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
JMRollins
Jr. Propeller Head

Numbering Weirdness - Losing Autonumbering

Post by JMRollins »

I've been working steadily on a project and things have been great so far, until the latest topic.

My H3 numbering has been working well, but suddenly broke mid document.

For example, my H3 numbering is now:

etc...

Nothing has changed with the style sheet and it works in all of the other topics. My H3 has this setting under Medium: Print:
mc-auto-number-format: CH:(chapnum).(n).(n+).

There are no section breaks or anything of that nature in the document.

Any thoughts or ideas?
JMRollins
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Numbering Weirdness - Losing Autonumbering

Post by JMRollins »

A small update:

I looked at the Text Editor and everything looks the same for the h3 headings, but the numbers are all 1.1.1. after the 1.1.2. entry. I tried manually setting the h3 numbering after the 1.1.2. entry to 1.1.3. which it allows me to do as well as save it. When I look at the XML Editor, the number is still 1.1.1. and the Text Editor has reverted back to 1.1.1. instead of 1.1.3. as I manually configured it to be.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

The important matter is how Flare calculates the numbers when it builds output, I assume a PDF. In the XML Editor and text editor, auto-numbers will always show their starting numbers in each level counter, e.g., Chapter 1, 1.1, or 1.1.1. I assume that the 1.1.2 you are seeing in a topic in the XML Editor is because you have more than one h3 in that topic, so Flare goes ahead and increments that second instance. And I’ll confirm that there is no point in manually editing an auto-number in the text editor. Flare is going to calculate the auto-numbers at build time.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Zauberlehrling
Propeller Head

Post by Zauberlehrling »

May I just continue in this topic instead of opening a new thread?
I have something similar. That is the situation.
I created a HTML output and for training we also have PDFs per level incl. References. The levels are numbered and the References have "Reference A - " in front of the topic header. Every level has its own TOC. Here all looks fine.
For reviewing and change requests we create also a PDF from the HTML. Here we use the TOC which is used for the HTML output. HTML output comes out as expected, but the numbering in the PDF is weird whenever H1 has a style added. It works fine in the individual PDFs, which we use for training, but not in the PDF with the full document.

1 Level 1 <-- H1
1.1 Topic 1 <-- H1
1.2 Topic 2 <-- H1
2 Level 2 <-- H1
2.1 Topic 3 <-- H1
2.2 Topic 4 <-- H1
3 References <-- H1.Reference
0.1 Topic 5 <-- H1.Reference
0.2 Topic 6 <-- H1.Reference

Please the screenshots, left is the online output and right the print output. The only difference is that the reference topic should have Reference ABC in front of the topic header.

h1.PNG
h1.reference.PNG

The TOC shows nothing of that sort, but instead 0.1, 0.2 etc. The individual PDFs show the TOC correct. See the screenshots below. First is the TOC on the individual PDF and the second is the PDF of the full document.

toc-level.PNG
toc-full.PNG

Any idea what I am doing wrong here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

So the difference is in the TOC? The PDFs per level use a smaller TOC than the overall HTML output one?

My guess is that the smaller TOC has Auto-numbers defined for the topic containing H1.Reference along with Chapter breaks in the Printed Output tab. Compare the properties for reference topics in both TOCs and see if there are different defintions in the Auto-number and Printed Output tabs.

Rob