Image Callout Number refenced to the Text

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
mareike
Jr. Propeller Head

Image Callout Number refenced to the Text

Post by mareike »

Hello everyone,

I am still at the very beginning with my Flare experiences, but I came across with an issue that is currently giving me no peace.

I would like to link or reference the callouts/numbering in the graphics with the respective number in the text.
When I use MadCap Capture I can no longer change the callouts/numbers.
Is there a way to add the callouts in Flare, to the images.

My thought is that if callouts/numbers change in the image, they will automatically change in the text.

Is there a way to do this in Flare?

Thanks so much for any help!
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: Image Callout Number refenced to the Text

Post by trent the thief »

Hi Mareike,

Welcome to Flare ;-)

Flare's CSS has a caption element that it applies to tables from the Insert Caption item on the table context menu. Unfortunately, that isn't available for images. I think the reasoning was that people would use the Figure html construct which contains elements for the image and caption.

As a workaround, I've used a table and image class on the caption element. It's not ideal, but it works.

---

FYI, if you aren't using Slack, you should consider it. The Flare channels get more traffic than the forum so you may get an answer sooner. Don't dump the forum though. I doubt if anyone has abandoned the forum, its just real-time than the forum, is all.

Lots of Flare users can't even use Slack where they work and they come here for answers.

If you're interested, PM me your email address.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
mareike
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mareike »

Hey,

thanks a lot for your answer.

I think I did not explain my problem very good.

I've added an example image:
Callouts_excample2.png
Is there a possibility to link/connect the image-numbers to the legend-numbers?
What I want: If I change a number in the image, the number in the legend should be updated automatically.
To reduce the effort of work for software documentation. E.G. when new buttons will be added to an image, the order of the numbers has to be changed manually at the moment.

Is there a way tot do this automatically in Flare?

Thank you so much for helping!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

You and me both :-)

I think everyone would auto-updating callout numbers, but that's not something that Flare can manage. I honestly don't think any help apps can do it, either. Not even the non-help apps like FrameMaker can do that without setting up an autonumbering paragraph just for callout pointer paragraphs and then creating the cross refs for the callout text.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare: