how to create different first, middle, and last pages

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

how to create different first, middle, and last pages

Post by Nina Esile »

I know I can create a different first page, and normal page (for all the middle pages). In addition to that, I'd like to put the copyright info in the footer of the last page, whatever that page turns out to be, but I can't conjure up a way to do it. Any suggestions?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: how to create different first, middle, and last pages

Post by SteveS »

Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Nina Esile »

Hi Steve and others,

Thanks for posting links to the user guide. Always helpful. But I have read the user guide and those links aren't necessarily helpful. I'm not sure if it's that I don't understand what I'm reading (always possible), if it's not explained well (also possible), or if Flare just isn't capable of creating three different page types to assign to a PDF (most likely).

Thing is, I'd like the footer of the first page to contain certain info. Then I'd like all the in-between pages to contain other info. Finally, I'd like the last page to have yet other info different from first and middle pages. All this is for PDF output.

Does this sound impossible or have I just not understood some part of the user guide?

Nina
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

I don't think this is possible, at least not in an automated way. There isn't a "Last" page type that you can insert into a page layout. The closest is one of the "Empty" or "Empty Left/Right" layouts, but this would be useless to you if you've content on the last page - they only get inserted where you're balancing pages in sections to even numbers the content finishes on an odd page. If you could guarantee each chapter always had an odd number of pages of content, you could use an "Empty" layout to force a new footer.

The only thing I can think to do is force a page break in the TOC and apply a new page layout to the final page of your chapter. But if chapters contain varying lengths of information that is going to be a pain to maintain and implement. It's like treating each section of your book like a distinct sub-book with title, content and backcover layouts.

Rob
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Nina Esile »

Rob,

That's what my thinking had led me to believe.

I appreciate your taking the time to help me think through this one!

Nina