Import Word Document Property?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
TheWriteStuff
Jr. Propeller Head

Import Word Document Property?

Post by TheWriteStuff »

When importing a Word document, is there any way to import a Document Property as a variable? I've got separate document properties in Word for the company name and the product name, but they are both imported as text rather than variables. This means I have to change them to variables in each relevant Flare topic, and it's easy to miss some instances.

Thanks.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Import Word Document Property?

Post by wclass »

Flare doesn't import document properties from Word.
The best work-around I can suggest is to create a character style in Word and apply it to all your fields/doc props - it does not have to have any different styles applied.
When you import, if you import with preserve Word styles then Flare will put a span around the text from the doc property with the class name of the char style - you can then more easily search for the span.

But a feature request is probably needed: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
TheWriteStuff
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by TheWriteStuff »

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try it for the next document import from Word.
I have submitted a feature request - thank you for the link!
elin_decker
Propeller Head

Post by elin_decker »

I'm reviving an old post here because I haven't found any more recent discussions. I'm using Flare 2023 r2 and I'm wondering if the feature to import Word properties as either variables or as meta tags was ever implemented? We have a lot of Word docs that use the properties, both basic and custom. Ideally those would port right into the meta tag file, but I don't see anything about properties or meta tags on the Word import file. Can anyone comment on this?