Runtime Merging Flare Projects Using Targets - Display merged navigation in HTML Help does not work

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
barbs
Propeller Head

Runtime Merging Flare Projects Using Targets - Display merged navigation in HTML Help does not work

Post by barbs »

I am exploring some options on an existing project with an HTML Help (CHM) output. I started working on this project about 10 years ago. There is a parent project that includes runtime merging to 13 child projects using targets.

While working on something else entirely, I decided I needed to find out more about this merge.txt file that has been a part of this project since apparently the dawn of life. I was always told that our project needed merge.txt for the merged projects' TOCs to work correctly when we build the parent project and the child projects are merged.

Anyhow, I started reading in Flare's Help, and it doesn't appear that we should need the merge.txt file.

Based on this page of Flare's help (https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... argets.htm), it looks like we've set up the TOC correctly for the merged project.

Example from the TOC of the parent project.
TOC_example.jpg

In the Properties, Select Flare Project and Target is specified.
TOC_properties_example.jpg

Based on this page of Flare's help (https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... L-Help.htm), it looks like we've set up the target properties page correctly for the child projects' TOCs to work correctly. The HTML Help target in the parent project has Display merged navigation in HTML Help enabled.
TargetProperties_Advanced.jpg

Based on the noted Flare help pages, after I build the parent project, I should be able to open any of the output CHM files (parent or child) and the TOC should be available for the whole project, including the parent and all children, AND I shouldn't need the merge.txt file; the merge.txt file is not supposed to be needed when you setup runtime merging using the target). However, if I remove the merge.txt files, the whole TOC works only when I open the parent project CHM. When I open that parent project CHM, I can navigate the TOC and access all of the child CHM projects. Unfortunately, if I open any of the child CHM files, I get an error that the parent CHM cannot be found.
TOC_error.jpg
Is this option for Display merged navigation in HTML Help broken, or have I missed some other important step? Any suggestions would be appreciated. It looks like someone else ran into this back in 2014 (viewtopic.php?p=103502&hilit=project+merge#p103502), so maybe this is a bug that still exists.

Barb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.