Question mark in user's search causes search to fail

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
zappy0
Propeller Head

Question mark in user's search causes search to fail

Post by zappy0 »

Greetings. I am setting up micro content in my Flare project. I am using the installed version of Flare to generate tri-pane HTML and I am using the standard Madcap Search. My users sometimes type a question in the Search box such as "How do I move jobs to another production queue?" and may or may not include the question mark. In my micro content file, I have typed the phrase "How do I move jobs to another production queue?" but when I search in the generated output for "How do I move jobs to another production queue?" (without the quote marks) the help displays 'Your search for "how do I move cards to another production queue?" returned 0 result(s).' However, if I search for "How do I move cards to another production queue" (no question mark, the search displays the desired micro content. I've tried adding both phrases (with and without the question mark) to the micro content file in Flare but the search always fails when I test the generated output using the phrase with question mark.

In the Target I have tried enabling and disabling "Exclude non-words from search"

In the Target I have tried enabling and disabling "Partial word searching"

What else can I try? Thank you.
scap
Propeller Head

Re: Question mark in user's search causes search to fail

Post by scap »

As a workaround you could add some kind of note saying not to include question marks (and other non-alphanumeric characters) in searches.
scap
Propeller Head

Post by scap »

May simply be a bug, see this topic: viewtopic.php?p=147409
zappy0
Propeller Head

Post by zappy0 »

Thanks scap, especially for the link to the related issue. You are correct that this is a known issue. Madcap support responded today stating
I found that the '?' at the end of a search phrase showing 0 results, is an existing bug in Tripane skin output. Regarding this issue, I have submitted a Bug Report on your behalf (#170307) to our development team and you will be notified via email if a fix for this is included in a future patch or release version.