Watermarks and images

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
RJP_Home
Propeller Head

Watermarks and images

Post by RJP_Home »

PDF output that contains many large images. I need a DRAFT watermark on each page. If I place an image of the word "DRAFT" in the page layout background, any image on a page will cover, sometimes completely, the word "DRAFT". I don't really want to use the "Repeat" setting, as having multiple "DRAFTS" on the page is distracting. If I use a Decoration frame on the page layout to hold the image (a .png created in SnagIt with opacity set to 1), then "DRAFT" will obscure any text and images on the page, also not acceptable.
Best solution I came up with so far is to make the DRAFT image large enough so that some part of it will be visible no matter the size of an image on the page and use that as the page layout background.
Shouldn't be this hard, should it?
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Watermarks and images

Post by AlexFox »

This tip I wrote a few years ago is still relevant and is a pretty robust PDF watermark method: viewtopic.php?t=30056
RJP_Home
Propeller Head

Post by RJP_Home »

That looks like a useful tip there, Alex, but my main problem is the watermark is either hidden by the image (Depth > Sink to Bottom) or it is covering the image (Depth > Float to Top). Is there a way to make the image translucent?
Thanks.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

I'm not sure Flare can build transparency into PDFs at all, though I could be wrong. My method uses text instead of an image though, so while the watermark does still obscure some content, it is not nearly as intrusive as floating a watermark image on top of the content.