Is there a way to use bookmarks as TOC entries?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Is there a way to use bookmarks as TOC entries?

Post by ktbCA57 »

I have a topic with several sub titles within it. I want to create the main topic as the book in the TOC, with the subtitles under it as entries. I have bookmarked those subtitles, but I don't see a way to have them link to the TOC.

I found an older post with a similar question, but it was from 2012 and I don't see that it was answered in a way that works for me.

I have the latest version of Flare and am on Windows 10.

Thank you for your input.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Is there a way to use bookmarks as TOC entries?

Post by Psider »

If you add the topic to the toc, then open the toc entry properties (right-click) there's a button to select a bookmark. You can change the Title field to the text you want displayed in the toc.
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ktbCA57 »

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH?

That worked FABULOUSLY for one of the two bookmarks I need to add... but
1) while it shows correctly in the project, once built, it shows the book mark as the main topic name.
2) when I tried adding a second bookmark in that same topic, it does[/list]n't show up as the name of the bookmark. I have tried linking it several times. The link itself shows the bookmark, but it does not show in the TOC - still shows the main topic.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

(Wondering if it's because the bookmarks are set at a dropdown heading for each.)
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Hmm I don't know. It seems to work the way you want when I do a quick test.

But perhaps you're doing print output and that might work differently from online?

Some screenshots of your setup and what you see in the output might help.
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ktbCA57 »

I made an image that shows each stage... hopefully, that will give you an idea of what I did. One thing improved in that the links in the built project actually go to the right location now. However, as you will see the links still show as the main topic title rather than subtitles. Hope this is clear.

(Sorry for the redactions but we have strict security rules in place at my company.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

In the Properties dialog box, did you change the Label field? In the screenshot is it still set to the System.LinkedTitle variable, which will populate the topic title I believe.
ktbCA57
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ktbCA57 »

I didn't change the label - I've never messed with that. Does it need to be changed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

If you want to display your own text, rather than the topic title, yes. If you're happy with the topic title then you can leave it as is. :)
Nunceric
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Nunceric »

You can't directly use bookmarks as entries in Flare's TOC, but you can work around it by creating placeholder entries for each subtitle in your TOC and then hyperlinking them to the corresponding bookmarks in your document. Update the TOC after setting up these placeholders, and that should give you the structure you're looking for.