Removing Heading Styles From Printed TOC [Moved]

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
alex
Propeller Head

Removing Heading Styles From Printed TOC [Moved]

Post by alex »

That's great! Does it work for the FrameMaker target as well?
NealPozner
Propeller Head

Post by NealPozner »

Yes, this would work for FrameMaker targets as well.
Neal Pozner
Madcap Software
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Hmm. I tried this and still see all headings in the TOC. I'm running FrameMaker version 7.0p579. Must I upgrade to 7.2 in order to be able to make use of this functionality?
NealPozner
Propeller Head

Post by NealPozner »

Alex, this should still work with FrameMaker 7. I would double-check the settings to see that the changes are being made to the stylesheet and medium associated with your Frame output target.
Neal Pozner
Madcap Software
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Thanks Neal.

In my Stylesheet, I've done this:

Media (specified same settings for both of the following):
- (default)
- print

Properties > Print Support:
- I specified 0 in the mc-heading-level for my h3-h6 headings
- (I also tried it for all headings, just for kicks, and generated a Word target - this worked - no TOC entries!)

In my FrameMaker Print Target, I've done this:
Stylesheet Medium = print

What other settings would I need to look at to get this to work? I thought it might be a Frame issue because it does work fine when I use the Word target, but I gather I'm probably missing something else somewhere.

Thanks for your help!
NealPozner
Propeller Head

Post by NealPozner »

Alex, this is a mea culpa. I've just spent the morning testing this, and it doesn't seem to work in FrameMaker after all. I apologize for the inconvenience this inaccurate information may have caused. :oops:

I will log this as a feature request for you.
Neal Pozner
Madcap Software
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Ah, thanks for the sanity check :)

I'm curious - did you find that it does not work in FrameMaker at all or just not in versions prior to the latest (7.2)?
NealPozner
Propeller Head

Post by NealPozner »

Discussion moved from:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?t=2434

I'll have to test this with Frame 7.2 as well, and will report back here.
Neal Pozner
Madcap Software
NealPozner
Propeller Head

Post by NealPozner »

Alex, after testing, I can confirm that Frame 7.2 behaves in exactly the same way as Frame 7 with respect to this issue.
Neal Pozner
Madcap Software
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Thanks, Neal. I appreciate your efforts.
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Any word on when this issue is going to be fixed?

In the meantime, I've created paragraph styles to use in place of H4-H6 so those items won't display in the TOC.
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

For anyone else having this problem, here's an update: I was given a patch to test and am happy to report that it worked :)

It's really encouraging to have first-hand evidence that MadCap developers and support people are actively working on issues logged as bugs/feature requests and in forum posts. Thanks for taking care of this one! Looking forward to the next release.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

mc-heading-level of \"0\" makes headings disappear

Post by pdenchfield »

I'm creating a PDF from Flare 2.5 using imported FrameMaker 7.2 files. I created an h1 class called \"h1.noTOC\" that has an mc-heading-level of \"0\" and applied this class to the \"Table of Contents\" heading in the TOC topic, as well as the front matter topics (\"about this document,\" etc.) so these headings would not get picked up by the printed Table of Contents page in the PDF.

The printed Table of Contents page indeed excludes these headings. However, the headings are also excluded from the document.

(I also tried p classes instead of h1 classes - same result.)

How do I exclude headings from the printed \"Table of Contents\" page in the PDF generated by FrameMaker?
alex
Propeller Head

mc-heading-level of \"0\" makes headings disappear

Post by alex »

Using the logic that others on the forum have suggested to me...

Try publishing to different print Output Types (Word or FrameMaker) and compare results. If it works in Word, there's a good chance there's a bug in the way it is compiling to FrameMaker.

Try a test without using a class. I tested this on my plain old level h3 headings and it worked perfectly. No heading displayed in the TOC, but the topic heading definitely displayed nicely at the top of the page as expected.

Make sure you are specifying the mc-heading-level of \"0\" in your print/frame media. [You might be thinking, \"Well, duh,\" but I don't like to assume anything ;) ]

Do you have any index entries or scripts or things located before the heading text? Voodoo or superstition? Who knows, but I like to keep my headings clean.

Someone else emailed me to ask for the patch they gave me that got this to work in my project, so I wonder if maybe the fix didn't make it into the last update... Hmm.

Hope something here helps,
alex
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

re: mc-heading-level of 0 makes headings disappear

Post by pdenchfield »

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, this bug in the Flare to FrameMaker output process is confirmed by MadCap Tech Support, who is uncertain when/if the bug will be fixed.

For now I have applied p classes instead of h classes to my headings that I don't want on the TOC page. I had to make sure that the p class had all necessary formats (such as page-break-before) by adding it using the internal text editor. The Style Editor (default view of the stylesheet) does not list these kinds of format settings for a p class.
zipededoo
Jr. Propeller Head

also having the TOC headings consistently appearing issue

Post by zipededoo »

I've just spent a day building and rebuilding trying to get this to work and cannot do it. Finally stumbled on this thread.

Someone in here mentioned a patch to fix the functionality? Is this widely available? We have certain h5 and h6 classes we'd like to exclude from the TOC in FrameMaker. I can replace them with p styles but I'd rather not have to do it if this thing will get fixed or there is another workaround.

Oddly I did manage to get it to work with the H1 style. Just none of the others work.

The issue is that if you output using mc-heading-level = 0 the style isn't sent to FrameMaker, but the content still is, so it gets typeset with a default style in the Frame doc. Setting the heading level to something other than zero works ok as the content has a style to attach.

Cheers,

Rob
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: re: mc-heading-level of 0 makes headings disappear

Post by LTinker68 »

pdenchfield wrote:I had to make sure that the p class had all necessary formats (such as page-break-before) by adding it using the internal text editor. The Style Editor (default view of the stylesheet) does not list these kinds of format settings for a p class.
Actually, it does. If you have "Assorted Relevant Properties" or "Property Groups" selected at the top of the Stylesheet Editor, then one of the property groups you'll see is labeled "PrintSupport". If you expand that then you'll see page-break-after and page-break-before and various other print-related properties (just make sure you're in the print medium when you set those options so that they're applied to the print section of the stylesheet).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
jbarwick
Propeller Head

Re: Removing Heading Styles From Printed TOC [Moved]

Post by jbarwick »

can't you create a "<p>" class that looks exactly like the H3 class that you want to remove from the TOC proxy?

That's what i did. So far, so good. No need to create an H3 class.

(Is bookmarking a problem if you do this?) I don't want bookmarks for anything other than H1 and H2 anyway.