Padding-left added to images Printed documentation Word 2003

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
bash7012
Propeller Head

Padding-left added to images Printed documentation Word 2003

Post by bash7012 »

Hi all,

When I generate my printed documentation, images in my numbered and bulleted lists appear with extra padding on the left that does not display in the GUI editor or when I generate the project as webhelp.

I've tried setting the padding-left value of the default.css print medium to 0 but it does not seem to have any effect.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and kind regards,
bash7012
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

It's possible the images are taking on the list formatting in Word, which adds a left indent.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Padding-left added to images Printed documentation Word

Post by LTinker68 »

bash7012 wrote:I've tried setting the padding-left value of the default.css print medium to 0 but it does not seem to have any effect.
Try setting the margin-left property instead. Also, make sure your body tag doesn't have any margin-left settings applied to it.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
bash7012
Propeller Head

Re: Padding-left added to images in printed doc

Post by bash7012 »

Unfortunately, I've tried changing both the padding-left and margin-left values to \"0\" but I still get the images indented.
It's possible the images are taking on the list formatting in Word, which adds a left indent.
If the images are taking on the list formatting in Word, wouldn't they be in line with the text in the same listed item instead of like this?

In the WebHelp, the image displays properly:

The Editor currently displays it like this:

bash7012
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

In your stylesheet in the print section (you might have to open in Internal Text Editor to see it clearly), look to see if you have a complex selector set up for paragraphs inside lists. It will appear as li p in the stylesheet. See if that specifies a left margin or padding. It might also appear as ol li p or ul li p, but it's probably just li p.

Also, as a test, at the end of a list item, try holding SHIFT and pressing ENTER at the same time to enter a soft break (<br \\> instead of a hard break (</p>). Do it again if you want extra space. Insert your image and recompile the print output. I'm curious if that behaves the same way.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Padding left and images in a list

Post by SteveS »

Are your images inside the <ol> tags?

When I use images in that way I close off the list, insert an image, and then start a new list (with the numbering continued from the previous list). Working this way seemed to give me the greatest control when exporting to Word.

I normally insert the image into a styled paragraph (p.image; original, huh?) which I've set up as centre justified, but you caould do whatever you preferred.

Another advantage with this approach is you can add captions or descriptive paragraphs (styled accordingly - p.caption) without getting format issues from them when theyt get exported as well.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
bash7012
Propeller Head

Re: Padding left and images in a list

Post by bash7012 »

Hi Steve and Lisa,

Thanks, I think I'll give closing off the list and starting a new one after the image a try.

:D

Kind regards,
bash7012
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

SteveS wrote:Are your images inside the <ol> tags?

When I use images in that way I close off the list, insert an image, and then start a new list (with the numbering continued from the previous list). Working this way seemed to give me the greatest control when exporting to Word.

I normally insert the image into a styled paragraph (p.image; original, huh?) which I've set up as centre justified, but you caould do whatever you preferred.

Another advantage with this approach is you can add captions or descriptive paragraphs (styled accordingly - p.caption) without getting format issues from them when theyt get exported as well.
I do something similar when I need to add a second paragraph to a list element. I have a P class that has the same styles and padding as LI, but does not have numbering or bullets. Usually I use it for text, but I've also applied it to images on occasion.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
bash7012
Propeller Head

Post by bash7012 »

Thanks so much everyone.

I've closed off the numbered list before the images, re-opened them after the images and created a p.list class with the same padding as LI to ensure consistent alignment in the Printed documentation and online :)

Thanks again.
bash7012
yanglu
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Padding-left added to images Printed documentation Word 2003

Post by yanglu »

I have the exact same problem. I assume this is a bug in Flare. I'd like to contribute another simpler workarround.

You can edit the print media section in your style sheet and add something like this to compensate the position (I do not have access to Flare at this moment, so the css syntax could be a bit wrong):

li p
{
margin-left: -0.24in
}
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Hi Yang,

Welcome to the forums! And thank you for contributing. :D
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
bash7012
Propeller Head

Post by bash7012 »

Thanks Yang :D

I'll remember that for my next project.

Kind regards,
bash7012