Feedback Bugs (tracking)

This forum is for general questions about Feedback Explorer and Feedback Server.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Feedback Bugs (tracking)

Post by pdenchfield »

Want to track a bug? Post it as a reply to this topic! I started this topic today when I remembered that I could not track my bugs through MadCap's website: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

Enhancements can be tracked through brianengle's excellent post \"Feedback Wish List\":
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?t=4427

And now for the bugs. Good news is I only have one so far.

Description:
Ratings incorrectly reported
Date entered:
12/12/07
Steps to reproduce:
1. Rate a topic with two stars: Click two full stars in a topic within a Help deliverable.
2. Open/refresh the corresponding .fbconf Feedback Explorer project and locate the new rating.
Actual result: The new rating is \"34.\"
Expected result: The new rating should be \"40.\" (2/5 stars = 40 percent)
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Thanks Pam, I will pass it along, I think the way the ratings are if the entire star is not coverred, it will put a number less than 40, I tried it on a topic in the Knowledge base, and it was 39.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

ratings are consistently reported as a smaller number

Post by pdenchfield »

Thanks for the reply, Richard. Actually, my boss and I have consistently seen numbers in Feedback Explorer that are (a bit) smaller than our attempted, imprecise \"grabbing of the stars' edges.\" If I didn't know better, I'd have thought MadCap wanted to automatically lower the ratings. ;-)
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Comments visible without required approval (my machine only)

Post by pdenchfield »

BUG: Comments visible without required approval
Note: Reference 12/12 session with Richard Farrell.
1. Add a comment to a Help project with \"Require new comments to be reviewed\" enabled (Basic tab of .fbconf file).
2. Click the \"Refresh comments\" button.
Actual results: The new comment is visible. (Note: The new comment is not visible on other users' computers.)
Expected results: The new comment should not be visible until the comment is accepted via email or Feedback Explorer.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

No system response to 5000-character comment

Post by pdenchfield »

To a project with “Require new comments to be reviewed” enabled (Basic tab of .fbconf file), add a comment with 5000 characters in the body.

Actual results: No system response.

Expected results: Automatic notification sent to reviewer’s email address on file. Display of comment when reviewer has approved it.

Note: This bug relates to my question on the maximum characters in three elements: comment body, comment subject, and rating feedback.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

re: visible comments - only on local machine

Post by pdenchfield »

I closed all browser windows and then redisplayed my WebHelp deliverable. The not-yet approved comment authored by me was still there. However, when I viewed the copy of the WebHelp deliverable that sits on the network, this comment was not visible.

It appears that the visible not-yet approved comment bug applies to an instance of the Help deliverable on the local machine of the comment author only. That is my theory so far....
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Workflow issue with Pending Comments window

Post by pdenchfield »

BUG: Workflow issue with Pending Comments window
(slight revision of what I just entered int he bug database)

Date entered:
1/3/2007

Steps to reproduce:
Open the Pending Comments window and double-click one of the listed topics.

Actual results:
Comment status cannot be changed. There are no buttons or menu options available for changing comment status. In fact, the only functionality available is that of replying to the person submitting the comment. If you want to change the comment status, you have to go to another window, such as the Topics window.

Expected results:
Comment status should be able to be changed. Buttons or menu options for changing comment status should be available from this window, without going to another window.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Server error when I accept comment via email

Post by pdenchfield »

Steps to reproduce:
Note: Neal Pozner has been working with me recently on Feedback Server.
Setup: Feedback Server hosted on remote virtual machine. My email address set as reviewer of pending comments. Someone else on my team submits a comment. I receive the automatic notification with the options to accept, hide, or discard. I select \"accept\" on the email message.
Result: Server error message displayed in Internet Explorer. URL is http://venfeedback/Service.FeedbackExpl ... r&Action=0
Text of error message is:
Server Error in '/Service.FeedbackExplorer' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.
Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a \"web.config\" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its \"mode\" attribute set to \"Off\".
<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode=\"Off\"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>
Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the \"defaultRedirect\" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.
<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode=\"RemoteOnly\" defaultRedirect=\"mycustompage.htm\"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

re: Server error when I accept comment via email

Post by pdenchfield »

Follow-up. I tried clicking \"Accept\" in a new message received and it worked out fine with the predictable results. So I went back to the old message where I got the original run-time error and tried again. I got the expected results.

For some unknown reason, the problem has corrected itself. I would still like to know what to expect later and how to solve this issue should it recur.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

No system response for added comment to .chm

Post by pdenchfield »

1. Build a Microsoft HTML Help target with the required Feedback key.
2. Publish the resulting .chm file to a network drive (for internal testing).
3. Instruct all testers to copy the .chm file to their local drive (cannot be viewed on network drive anyway).

Actual results: Comments can be added by 2 testers but not 1 (me). When I attempt addition of a comment, I get no system response, and the comment is not visible in Feedback Explorer.

Expected results: Comments should be available for all. I should be able to add comments.

Note: We have Feedback Server set up to require user registration. I remember registering for the WebHelp version of this deliverable (sharing the same license key for testing purposes), but not the .chm file. The other 2 testers had to register once for the WebHelp and again for the .chm file.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Chart only appears in bar form

Post by pdenchfield »

In Feedback Explorer, select all topics in the Topics window, click the “Send the data to the Charting Pane” button, and then select “Pie” (or another pie-based format) from the drop-down list.

Actual results: The current chart does not change. In fact, the current chart changes form only when I select another bar-based format.

Expected results: The current chart should change according to my selection from the drop-down list.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Chart does not appear at all

Post by pdenchfield »

In Feedback Explorer, after viewing a chart of all topics (once for view counts and once for ratings), open the Search Phrases window, select all rows, and then click the “Send the data to the Charting Pane” button. Close and reopen Feedback Explorer to retry.

Actual results: The chart continues to show data from the previously viewed Topics window. When I close and reopen Feedback Explorer to retry, the chart area is completely empty.

Expected results: The chart should show data from the currently open window when I click the corresponding “Send the data to the Charting Pane” button.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Chart printout width depends on GUI display option

Post by pdenchfield »

In Feedback Explorer, view data in a chart, ensuring that the view is default (not ½ of the screen) and then select “Print Preview.”

Actual results: The chart appears compressed, as it does in the default view within Feedback Explorer.

Expected results: The chart should take up the entire width of the page without intervention by the user.

Note: Print Preview looks as expected if you select \"1/2.\"
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Synonyms cannot be exported from Feedback Explorer

Post by pdenchfield »

In Feedback Explorer, open the Synonyms window and then select File> Save To (or File> Save As), entering the desired file name and location.

Actual results: No file exists.

Expected results: File should exist after I save the Synonyms data.

Note: I also tried closing and reopening the application to try again – no luck.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Missing Feedback data in Flare

Post by pdenchfield »

Open a Flare project that is bound to source control and then select View> Feedback Explorer.

Actual results:
For my coworkers (who did not bind the project to source control), no data is displayed; the Feedback Explorer window displays one of the following messages depending on your selection from the drop-down list: “No project loaded” or “There is no topic loaded.” (For me, the Feedback data was displayed.) However, my coworkers each (at separate times) had the project files checked out and were successfully able to edit and check in the files.

Expected results:
Feedback data should be displayed for anyone who can check out the Flare project file.

Note: A possibly related Flare bug (“New VSS-bound Flare project results in VSS error”) is posted here: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 674#p27674
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Topic rating and text feedback allowed when Feedback Server

Post by pdenchfield »

After your trial license key expires (or with the database server down, the internet connection down, or the firewall insurmountable), rate a topic in the Help deliverable.

Actual results:
Rating dialog box appears. If you forget to click the stars after typing your text feedback, a message appears reminding you to rate the topic. When you click OK, you get the same response as when the Feedback Server is running (license key is good, database server up, internet connection up, firewall able to get through).

Expected results:
No rating dialog box should appear.
Desired results: Indicator that one or more connectivity requirements are not met, which means ratings and comments cannot be sent or received. This indicator could be displayed at all times or only when the customer attempts to rate a topic or add a comment to a topic.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Feedback Bugs (tracking)

You would want to verifty that the Analyzer folder has been checked into your project also.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Hi Richard, can you clarify? Did you mean to refer to "Analyzer"? I don't have that product installed.
GE_techwriter01
Jr. Propeller Head

Star comments not displaying

Post by GE_techwriter01 »

We're using the Server and compile HTML help. When a user rates a topic and also enters comments in that same rating window, we cannot see the rating or the comment in the Feedback Explorer. We can see that the topic was accessed, and that the average rating for that topic has changed, but when the Explorer attempts to show us the actual rating and the comment, we get a "Download failed. The Feedback key is invalid or expired."

Because we're receiving other data (such as hit counts, "regular" comments, comment counts, etc.), we feel pretty certain that the key is fine. Any ideas why we'd get this error only on star rating feedback?

EDIT: I just used MS SQL Server Mgmt Studio Express to view the tables in the database. The comments for the ratings do appear in the dbo.Rating table, so the information is flowing to the database. It's simply not pulling into the Feedback Explorer.

Shaun Scott, GE Healthcare
Last edited by GE_techwriter01 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

I would recommend that you open a support Ticket so that we can track this issue.

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/contact.aspx
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
paultd3
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by paultd3 »

Has the issue regarding the displaying of general comments but not the ratings in Feedback Exlporer as stated above been resolved? If so, HOW?

In case you haven't already guessed, we are having the exact same issue.

Thanks,
Paul :feedback:
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

This issue was resolved, If you are having a similar issue then I would recommend that you open a support ticket using the following form

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/contact.aspx

This will allow us to better track your issue.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer