Import Lock UP

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
mitches
Propeller Head

Import Lock UP

Post by mitches »

Flare is locking up when I do an import from my Word files. It displays all of the files being imported and then stops at the end of the import. It has seized the focus for Flare. It acts like it has asked for a user response but there is no dialogue asking for a response. I’ve tried Alt-Tab looking for a dialogue – none found. If I remove the last .doc from the list and try again, it will go to the end and lock up. It doesn’t appear to be a problem with the last .doc since it completed its import when it was not the last file.

It was importing last week and then I had a problem in one of the Topics. My assumption was that there was something wrong with that Topic; however, when I try to re-import a Topic that was successful last week, it no longer works.

I have re-booted. It did not help. Is there a setting that I have inadvertently set?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Import Lock UP

Post by RamonS »

Your best bet is to get in contact with MadCap support and send them the file over to see what makes Flare to keel over. Maybe it is something that can be changed in the Word document without changing the ultimate result.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

If you only import one word file does it work? does it always error out on the same word file?
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I don't have any help for you, but I do want to welcome you to the forums!
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

mitches
Propeller Head

Post by mitches »

I have contacted MadCap Support. I sent my files to them and they were able to import with them. Apparently, I have a problem with my installation. I'm concerned about reinstalling and loosing my data.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Which data are you worried about losing? Most project-related data is stored in the project folder, and uninstalling/reinstalling Flare doesn't affect that project folder. You might lose any custom colors you created in Flare since, for some odd reason, that info is stored in the registry, and it might be blown out during the uninstall. However, if you applied those custom colors in your stylesheet then they're still there -- you just won't have the shortcut to the colors in the Flare GUI.

What other data are you worried about?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
mitches
Propeller Head

Post by mitches »

As of late yesterday, I was able to get all of my .htm files built by removing everything from the area and starting over with adding files and reimporting.
As of today, it has taken a dislike to specific files. It locks up when it comes to them in the list. I've removed all of the files and started over and it still fails. If I create a whole new project, the files work.
After a lot of experimenting, it seems that if I change the wording of the header paragraph in the files that do not work, they will work. Since the heading paragraph determines the name of the .htm file, do I have a conflict somewhere in my files regarding replacing the files.
My latest discovery is that they will all import if I first go into my Content and remove all of the .htm files from the directory I am importing into.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Can you post a header that is in one of the files (or more)? I'd be interested what is in there that breaks Flare.
mitches
Propeller Head

Post by mitches »

It is not a specific word. If I delete the Imported files and recreate the full area, it works.
mitches
Propeller Head

Post by mitches »

I noticed another problem in by importing today. A file named "AAR and TACC.doc" was named "and TACC.htm" in the imported files. Also, "Mission Slide.doc" produced "Slide.htm."
Ken Billing
Propeller Head

Post by Ken Billing »

I had some trouble like this after I copied some Flare files from an existing project into my new project, hoping to update the files with changes I had made elsewhere. My import would always hang at the same place. I resolved the problem by looking through the files I had copied into the project in a text editor and deleted references to input files, output files, styles, and generally anything I knew didn't match up with the new project.
Ken Billing | Technical Writer
BlueCielo ECM Solutions
http://www.bluecieloecm.com