Toolbar Background image

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
PK
Jr. Propeller Head

Toolbar Background image

Post by PK »

Hi all.

Is there a hack for specifying a background image for the WebHelp toolbar instead of the background gradient colour?

I tried manually editing the skin to include an image in the toolbar style class, but no luck.

I notice that when you manually remove the background gradient property from the skin, the toolbar defaults to a background image called "ToolbarBackground.jpg".

Is it possible to use a custom background image?

Thanks in advance.
PK
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Toolbar Background image

Post by PK »

Update:

In output/Skin/Images, I replaced the ToolbarBackground.jpg with my own background image (also called ToolbarBackground.jpg), so and checked if toolbar.htm would used image instead. It still shows the default ToolbarBackground.jpg.

Perhaps it's my image. :(
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

The ToolbarBackground.jpg file is a backup or placeholder image; it's being called in the MadCapToolbar.js file, but I couldn't figure out a way to get it to go with that image instead of the default gradient. I didn't spend much time on it, but you might be able to figure it out (it's in the output folder under Content\SkinSupport).

So at the moment, you can't select an image for the toolbar background. I suggest you put in a feature request here -> http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

PK wrote:Update:

In output/Skin/Images, I replaced the ToolbarBackground.jpg with my own background image (also called ToolbarBackground.jpg), so and checked if toolbar.htm would used image instead. It still shows the default ToolbarBackground.jpg.

Perhaps it's my image. :(

Check where it's looking for ToolbarBackground.jpg.
If you're using a customised skin, the images will be in the Data\Skin folder.
(I'm not sure why Flare also includes the default skin images in the output.)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Unfortunately, there's not an either/or option in the Skin Editor. You choices are to specify a gradient or solid color for the toolbar background -- you can't tell it to pick a background image. Yet. So the presence of the toolbackground.jpg file is just a backup in case it has a problem filling in the color.

Lisa
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

LTinker68 wrote:So the presence of the toolbackground.jpg file is just a backup in case it has a problem filling in the color.
No, not really. The ToolbarBackground.jpg image is generated by Flare, based on what you specify in the skin settings for the gradient.

You can replace this file in the output...
Toolbarbackground.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Oh, you know, I was testing in one project but looking at the toolbarbackground.jpg in another project and the colors didn't match. I think I did try substituting the toolbarbackground.jpg image after generating the output and I thought it didn't work, but I may have been looking at the wrong project. But PK said he/she replaced the image in the output and the output didn't change. On the other hand, PK, you mentioned you tried looking at it in the toolbar.htm file to see if it had taken the image -- did you try launching the whole help output (Default.htm)?

Lisa
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you've customised that aspect of the skin, you'll have two Toolbarbackground.jpg files in your output.

The Skin/Images folder has all the files used for the default skin.
The Data/Skin folder contains files for any customised parts of the skin, i.e. if you change the toolbar background then this folder will have a Toolbarbackground.jpg file, which will is the one used by your output.
PK
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by PK »

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

Lisa - I wasn't actually looking at the output, just the toolbar.htm file. Sorry for the confusion.

I removed the backgound gradient info from my skin, and tried the following:

Following output, replaced ToolbarBackground.jpg skin/images in the output, and opened project. This worked, but each time I
rebuilt the project (and cleared my cache), my (custom) ToolbarBackground.jpg was replaced by ToolbarBackground.jpg from MadCap
Flare V3\Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp\Default.flwht\Images? At least it seemed like the same file (and size).

Replaced ToolbarBackground.jpg (with a custom image)in MadCap Flare V3\Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp\Default.flwht\Images.
This worked but it's obviously not a good long term solution...
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

PK wrote:Replaced ToolbarBackground.jpg (with a custom image)in MadCap Flare V3\Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp\Default.flwht\Images.
This worked but it's obviously not a good long term solution...
And that will propagate to all your projects, so if you want a different graphic for some of them, then you'll have to go back to replacing the toolbarbackground.jpg file in the output folder after you've built the project. I do something similar for a modification to one of the MadCap Javascript files.

Make sure you submit a request to MadCap asking for the ability to specify a background image file in the Skin Editor. Submit the request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

Lisa
PK
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by PK »

LTinker68 wrote: Make sure you submit a request to MadCap asking for the ability to specify a background image file in the Skin Editor. Submit the request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Done.

Thanks folks.