Using variables as TOC label

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
rhofitz
Propeller Head

Using variables as TOC label

Post by rhofitz »

Hi,

We are moving to Flare from RoboHTML x5. We will be creating Eclipse help (via WebHelp and then doing some post processing on the toc file so it conforms to Eclipse).

One thing we would like to be able to do is have our TOC labels automatically update whenever we make a change to the corresponding topic title.

So, for example, lets say I create a topic with an title that says: "Using the Editor". I add this topic to my TOC, and it displays "Using the Editor" as its label. Later, I go in and change the topic title to say: "Using the ABL Editor". My TOC does not automatically recognize that I've change the topic title and it still says "Using the Editor". So, I need to remember to go into my TOC and make the change, too.

When we imported our RoboHTML project, Flare created the following variable for all of our topic titles. To update this title in the Topic itself, we go into the Topic Poperties and enter the topic title there and this then changes the text in my topic's title.

Code: Select all

<h1>
    <MadCap:variable name="System.Title" />
 </h1>
It would seem that we should be able to use this same variable as our TOC labels. The KBase article on how to use variables in TOCs is below:

1. Navigate to your TOC Entry
2. Double click on your TOC item
3. In the Label Field you will want to enter the Following for where you want the variable to be placed.
[% = MyVariablesSet.NameOfVariable%]
4.If your Variable file name is MyVariables and the Variable is CopmanyName then the syntax would be [% = MyVariables.CompanyName%]

So, I have tried entering the following as my topic's Toc label:

[% = MadCap.System.Title%]

But the label just shows this syntax I've typed in, it doesn't render to the Topic's title.

Has anyone succesfully done this or do they have any other ideas on how to get our TOC lablels to automatically update to match our topic titles?

Thanks,
Rhonda Fitzgerald
Progress Software
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Using variables as TOC label

Post by Richard Ferrell »

did you remove the spaces?
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
rhofitz
Propeller Head

Post by rhofitz »

Hi,

Yes, I tried removing the spaces (I assume you meant the ones before and after the = sign)

[%=MadCap.System.Title%]

I tried a couple of other guesses on what the syntax would be, but these did not work either. But I am shooting in the dark here since this variable does not exist in any Variable set so the syntax provided in the KBase article doesn't really apply.

Rhonda
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

What is the name of your Variable file name and the name of the variable itself?
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
rhofitz
Propeller Head

Post by rhofitz »

That's part of the problem. This variable is not in any variable set. It was created by Flare during the RoboHTML project conversion, but it did not add it to any variable set. The only set I have is the Primary one and the only two in there are the companyname and phonenumber variables. This seems to be an internal system variable as indicated by the code that Flare inserted for all of my topic titles:

<h1>
    <MadCap:variable name="System.Title" />
</h1>
Rhonda
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

What version of RH were you using? RH X5 doesn't not use variables at all and I am not sure abotu RH 6. If you are still having issues I would open a support ticket using the follwoing Website

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/contact.aspx

:flare:
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
rhofitz
Propeller Head

Post by rhofitz »

We are using RoboHTML X5. The titles in RoboHTML X5 do have some sort of variable in place -- we are using a template on Robo, so I think the title is setup that way by default. Anyway, I will work with support on this (once we get our licenses in house). Rhonda
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Robohelp X5 does not use Variables, so I am not sure how they were doing it. You may need to create a new varible file in Flare.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
Fedja
Propeller Head

Post by Fedja »

Other than the usual variable syntax, Flare uses a different syntax for the TOC. I'm not at work right now, but I can tell you that the bracketed syntax you posted is not the one I'm using. :D

I believe simply entering the following as your TOC entry is what provides a working variable output. If that fails, I'll get back to this topic on Monday once I've had time to double-check.

MadCap:variable name="System.Title"