Inserting a bitmap into a movie

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Inserting a bitmap into a movie

Post by MikeKatz »

I'm back into evaluating Mimic again. My company decided not to go with an animated movie, which was what was crashing on my workstation, and to use annotated single screen shots instead. Thanks to Pat Dear for extending my trial period, which had run out.

The reason they changed their mind is that the imagery in the package is going to change at the last minute. By using single screen shots, I can replace the screens that change without losing the rest of the presentation, which allows me to have the presentation ready at release time.

However, I have an issue. I take the initial set of screens via the recorder and then work on each frame. I have successfully replaced screens by recording again. However, that's going to be slow. What I'd like to do is capture the replacement screens separately, save them as JPGs, and then import them into Mimic. The reason is that I can duplicate a frame many times to annotate different aspects.

The import process works, but the images get resized as they come in and they are far too small. Is there a setting I've missed that creates this issue? Or, do I need to use a specific file format (BMP instead of JPG, for example)? Or, is this just the way Mimic does it?

I haven't played enough, but I'm now on a really tight deadline, so if anyone can help while I look around myself, thanks!
Mike
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Inserting a bitmap into a movie

Post by Richard Ferrell »

If you go into a frame property you can assign a different bitmap image to the background.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

Richard Ferrell wrote:If you go into a frame property you can assign a different bitmap image to the background.
Hi Richard
I was doing that, but the bitmap was coming in resized instead of at full size.
I recaptured the screens and they worked OK. It's possible the first ones were captured incorrectly, so the issue is resolved.
Mike
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Here's why it went wrong...

Post by MikeKatz »

The reason I had this issue is that the default size on a new blank movie is not the same as the bitmap I was importing. Mimic is resizing the bitmap to the default image size, and not doing that good a job of it either.
It would be nice to have an option to size the frame to the bitmap size, since this is after all the background.
Mike
pdear
Propeller Head

Post by pdear »

Thanks Mike. I've made a note of your suggestion.

-- Pat
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

You just need to be aware then that all frames in that movie will need to be resized and that means stretching the bitmap background for those frames who do not get a new background. That really just transfers the problem to different frames and may have a way bigger impact than one frame to be in bad shape.
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

RamonS wrote:You just need to be aware then that all frames in that movie will need to be resized and that means stretching the bitmap background for those frames who do not get a new background. That really just transfers the problem to different frames and may have a way bigger impact than one frame to be in bad shape.
Hi Ramon

Can you have differently-sized frames in the same movie? I assumed the frame size is constant per movie, or at least it will look better that way instead of the size switching the whole time.

I'm not saying that every time you import a bitmap you should adjust the frame. I'm suggesting that if you start with a blank movie, then when you import the first bitmap it should size the movie accordingly. I suppose I am once again making an assumption, which is that I would have taken a series of screen snapshots at constant size, which I am now importing into a movie. In any event, it's a good way to default IF the movie is currently blank.
Mike
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

That is my point, the frame size has to be the same for each frame in a movie. Now, if you start with a new blank movie the issue is moot and I agree with what you propose.