Mark of the Web - When on, no target page reached

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Petesburgh
Jr. Propeller Head

Mark of the Web - When on, no target page reached

Post by Petesburgh »

I have a similar post to Alidog's.
When I deselect the "Mark of the Web" checkbox, IE looks fine on my pc.
When I select "Mark of the Web", the start page and any top level pages in my webhelp does not display.
Help!

thanks
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Mark of the Web - When on, no target page reached

Post by LTinker68 »

See the response in Alidog's post --> http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... f=9&t=5944. I'm guessing on your PC you've enabled the option to always be able to view content from your PC (by default, that is not enabled, which is why you generally have to add MOTW to be able to view the help from your local machine).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Petesburgh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Petesburgh »

Thanks Lisa,
I have the project and output local to my machine. It is not on a server.
When I select "Mark of the Web" check box, the start page and any top level links to an HTML page do not work in Internet Explorer. They work fine in FireFox.
When I deselect MOTW, it appears fine, but I have to click through to accept the content.

I looked at another project and I can't figure out any difference in how I set up the TOC, Skin, or Target. They look like the same structure.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Just to clarify, when you say the project isn't on a server, that also means that it's not running in IIS on your local computer right?

Have you tried turning MOTW on, cleaning the output folder (just delete the entire thing), and rebuilding? It could be that some of your topics had the MOTW in the code and some didn't (and since IE loves to cache stuff, then it's not catching the changes). Try it after deleting the entire output folder. And, just to be on the safe side, clear out the history and offline files in IE. It definitely won't try to cache anything then.

Lisa
Petesburgh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Petesburgh »

Thanks again, Lisa.
I tried exactly what you described, but the problem persists.
I should have mentioned that this was a RoboHelp project at one time and was ported over when we shifted to Flare a year ago.
We were only producing WinHelp output until now. I wanted to convert to a WebHelp format, but I can't figure out why it is not working in Explorer.

It is not running in IIS on my local machine.

Pete
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Personally I would Leave Mark of the web Off, Espically if the final output is going to be on a server.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Petesburgh wrote: I should have mentioned that this was a RoboHelp project at one time and was ported over when we shifted to Flare a year ago.
My guess is that RH inserted some code into the topics that isn't the standard way to mark MOTW as Flare recognizes it, so when you turn MOTW off in Flare, then it's using the MOTW instance in RH instead of Flare's MOTW. Enabling MOTW in Flare must be causing a conflict between Flare's code and RH's legacy code.

If you build a test project from scratch, then do you have the same problem? If you don't, then you're going to have to look at the source code of a few of the topics to see if you can find the legacy RH code. If you find it, then back up the entire project (just in case), then use Flare's find-and-replace to strip out the legacy RH code.

Lisa
Petesburgh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Petesburgh »

Lisa,
I don't know why we didn't start there. Yes! There is garbage code at the top of the topics that aren't displaying correctly.

This was an older project started in RH. It includes pages that were converted from Word to RH. Then the project was converted to Flare.
I guess the conversion to Flare didn't remove all of the old RH junk. <die>Kardov Tags</die>

Something about the Smart Index? ...

<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:check_list="Ran Smart Index" MadCap:ignoredWords="TmgrHost;vrg;IP;WinCE;......................SubnetMask;Product(s" MadCap:id="Additional_Enrollment_Training_Suggestions" MadCap:timeEstimate="0" MadCap:priority="0" MadCap:status="In Progress" conditions="Primary.InternalOnly" class="" MadCap:conditionTagExpression="">

NOTE: .... indicates dozes of removed terms similar to "TmgrHost;vrg;IP;WinCE;"

replacing that with a known good tag:
<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:check_list="Ran Smart Index" MadCap:id="Removing_the_Randomness_from_Template_Training" MadCap:timeEstimate="0" MadCap:priority="0" MadCap:status="In Progress" class="" MadCap:conditionTagExpression="">

solved the problem