What files are pushed during publication? Need to overcome..

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
jcoria
Propeller Head

What files are pushed during publication? Need to overcome..

Post by jcoria »

A temporary situation. I am working from a remote location and the VPN does not have access to the webserver that is inside the DMZ. I can publish to an internal server, and log on to a Terminal Server that can see the web server in the DMZ. My question is, can I just copy the published files to the web server? I have tried it, but the new content is not showing up on the latest build...if they can be copied, what files need to go? I copied the Content, Data, Skin, Default.htm, Default js, default mcwebhelp, default xml, default csh and left files...but new stuff is not showing up on a folder copy.

Can this be accomplished?

Thank you.

JCoria
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: What files are pushed during publication? Need to overcome..

Post by LTinker68 »

I've never copied files through a Terminal Server, but I have mapped a drive to a web server and just copied all the files and folders inside the Output\WebHelp folder to the appropriate location on the web server and it worked. There have been a couple of times, however, where modifications were made to the server itself that prevented me from copying files over (permission issue). You might need to check with your IT department that you have the necessary permissions to be able to access that web server using the methods you're using. It's possible that file uploading from the Terminal Services port is disabled but reading through that port is enabled, which is why you can see the files on the server but not copy files there. You're probably not able to overwrite existing files either (you only mentioned new stuff).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Typically, one uploads files to the web server using FTP or SFTP, but I guess that is not how the files originally got to the server. I wonder if you upload to the right place. One easy test is to push a text file with some gibberish in it to the web server and then request it via browser using an aptly crafted URL. If the text file shows up in the browser, you hit the right place. If not, three things may have happened:
a) you copying the files to the wrong place
b) you copied the files to a subfolder that is not represented in the URL you use for testing the WebHelp
c) the URL no longer points to that server, but to some other server that is a clone, but has old content
Other than that, any chance that there is some caching going on or that a proxy serves up old content? As Lisa pointed out, talk to your IT folks or whoever runs that server.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

When you say they aren't showing up, *where* are they not showing up? In the folders, or in the help system? If it's the help system, I would also make sure you upload the default topic and the TOC.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare