Topics under 1000 characters

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Will Gaffga
Propeller Head

Topics under 1000 characters

Post by Will Gaffga »

I disabled the option to 'Avoid creating "empty" topics' when importing from FrameMaker. This appears not to work despite my resetting it and regenerating the output? Any input on how to solve this? The attached image shows an H1 with two H2s below it. I also have instances where there is a page that starts on an H3 and has an H2 below it. This is totally NFG. I am stuck. Please help.
SNAG-208.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Topics under 1000 characters

Post by KevinDAmery »

Did you tell Flare to create new topics when it encounters a specific style? Reading between the lines, it sounds like you're expecting Flare to create a new topic any time it encounters a heading: it can do that, but you have to tell it to do so.

Also not clear what your image has to do with the "avoid creating empty topics" setting, since nothing in it appears to be empty.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Will Gaffga
Propeller Head

Post by Will Gaffga »

Did you tell Flare to create new topics when it encounters a specific style? [snip] ... it sounds like you're expecting Flare to create a new topic any time it encounters a heading: it can do that, but you have to tell it to do so.
yes ... the title and first three headings.
newTopics.png
Also not clear what your image has to do with the "avoid creating empty topics" setting, since nothing in it appears to be empty.
I disabled the "avoid creating empty topics" option. Those sections should have been created individually.
SplitOptions.png
Lastly, the headings are not done logically in several instances. For example there is a page that starts with an H3 and has an H2 below it.
BadChunking.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Ok - how does the original FM file(s) deal with that content? For example, are they all using Head1, Head2, etc. or are there any alternate styles or over-rides in use?

Re: the H3 before the H2, how is that arranged in the source?
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Will Gaffga
Propeller Head

Post by Will Gaffga »

The data in FM are strictly paragraph styles, no manual over-rides or character styles are applied. We use very strict structure in our docs without actually being structured FM.
The tags are Head1, Head2, Head3, etc..
The H3 in the source is after an H2. I have another HTML page in that output that has an H1 at the bottom of a topic and nothing below it.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Sounds like Flare probably is reading the files incorrectly (or there's something in the files that isn't apparent from looking at them). You might want to open a support ticket and send Madcap a copy of the FM files you're importing and see if they can see something.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare