Cannot get my URL calls to work...

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
rkiskan
Propeller Head

Cannot get my URL calls to work...

Post by rkiskan »

Hi,

Need help here please. Have seen som previous discussions about URL problems, but I have something similar where I cannot get it to work by using direct URLs in the web browser. Yes, I have read the Flare Help and Knowledge Base articles, but this one they don't cover. Firstly I'm using IE 7, Flare 3.1.

The URL I am calling is:
file:///C:/WebHelp/TShare.htm#Searches/SearchesAdvancedSearches.htm
It is ignoring the #Searches/SearchesAdvancedSearches.htm part, and opens just like it does with
file:///C:/WebHelp/TShare.htm

In my WebHelp target I have:
Startup topic: Content\Index.htm
Output file: TShare.htm

I can open the SearchesAdvancedSearches.htm topic by doing this:
C:\WebHelp\Content\Searches\SearchesAdvancedSearches.htm
but that isn't good enough because I need the TOC, Skin etc.

Help would be apreciated.

Thanks
Robin
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Cannot get my URL calls to work...

Post by RamonS »

I assume the TShare.htm topic is the default topic. You should have in the output folder also then a file called Tshare_csh.htm, which is the file you need to use in order to make context sensitive calls (thus the name extension of "_csh"). This file contains the scripting necessary to process what you reference after the #.
That is covered in the Flare help, but in regards to accessing WebHelp from a server. In the end it is the same, you just need to replace the protocol specification https: with the (pseudo) specifier for the local file system, which you did correctly.
rkiskan
Propeller Head

Post by rkiskan »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it does work now if I use the _CSH in the URL. The Flare Help file is really misleading here, because its says something like "ensure that you use the _CSH in the Output file" and I understood that to be the target definiton - meaning that I had to use _CSH_CSH :roll: .

However, now I have run into another issue. When I open the exact topic as described above, the user sees the TOC and skin, but if they open another topic from the TOC, the TOC disappears and they are left looking at the topic content only. I would have expected that they can navigate further into the Help structure ... is this a bug?

thanks
Robin
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I'm a bit less sure about this one, but following a prominent line, does that happen when you use the sample project? If that works as expected, I suspect the settings in the target and skin of your project. Sorry for being so vague, but since I never came across this specific problem, I cannot really be of much help. Other thoughts are the type of TOC link, IIRC you can specify what/how the TOC link links. Does it happen for all entries in the TOC? Does it happen for a new TOC link?
rkiskan
Propeller Head

Post by rkiskan »

OK it seems to be running as expected now. Even though I was using CTRL+F5 to refresh the IE window, it still seemed to be caching the bad experiences of not using the _CSH target. Why the skin never appeared after using the TOC was and still is a mystery, but it seems to be OK now. This is not very promising though if the app. users have the same sort of experience.

Thanks again for the the assistance.

Robin
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

What can I say? Don't use IE. It is a broken piece of crapware. I don't get why people still have that on their systems....uh, right, Microsoft doesn't even allow one to uninstall it.