Removing inherited styles

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
jmenning
Propeller Head

Removing inherited styles

Post by jmenning »

I have a project with a serious excess of "inherited" styles that I cannot delete. I never, ever use the HTML tags like cite, abbr, big, code, em, var, samp, ins, small, del, etc, etc, etc, but I cannot figure out how to remove them from my style list.

I looked at my stylesheet with a text editor, and there's no indicator in the style sheet of a template or parent sheet, nor are any of these tags defined as styles. I've looked through the Flare application folder, but I don't see any stylesheets in there that include these tags.

It's a problem because they all show up above my span styles, so I have to scroll through them to get to the styles I actually want to use, every time I want to use them.

Where on earth are these being pulled in from, and how do I get rid of them? Any help greatly, hugely appreciated!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Removing inherited styles

Post by SteveS »

The styles you are looking at are generic stlyes that people use within spans rather than using inline formatting. So, rather than highlighting text and using the bold button you can highlight the text and apply the em tag. Not much differencr, until the project sponser asks you to change everything you bolded to italics...

As you observed, they're not in your stylesheet. Flare lists all the styles in the stylesheet editor but doesn't add them until you apply them to something using your stylesheet. In effect, there is nothing to get rid of.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
jmenning
Propeller Head

Post by jmenning »

Thanks. I know what they're for, they're just irritating, time-consuming, and carpal-tunnel-inducing. I was hoping that I was just missing a button somewhere to turn them off.

I like that I can hide them in the stylesheet (gets them out of my way there), but I absolutely HATE having to scroll past them to get to the styles I actually want to use when I'm working in a topic. I just don't have the kind of screen real estate needed to display all of those tags PLUS the span styles I actually want to use. I've submitted a feature request for this. Here's hoping.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I use generic classes instead of span classes. Generic classes appear no matter which type of tag I'm in, and they appear at the top of the list.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
jmenning
Propeller Head

Post by jmenning »

That works! Thank you, Lisa!
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Another thing you might want to try is docking the Styles window to the right side of your screen. I've found this is a much more streamlined way to get at styles than by using the pulldown. (And credit where credit's due, I think Lisa was the one who originally suggested it to me....)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
jmenning
Propeller Head

Post by jmenning »

I do dock the Style window on the right side of the screen, and it's the only thing over there, so I have the maximum possible vertical space :) I just have a lot of styles...

Thanks for the tips!